Landrover Discovery 2.5 TD5 Auto

chrisjh

Just a few things:

If it is air suspension check for leaks in the rear air bags.

Pull out red connector from ECU, under seat normally and check for oil passing through the loom which can cause mis-fires. If Yes the fix is about £50 for a new loom section which any competant DYI can fix.

Look for loose steering box and any worn steering bushes

Check for leaking swivels

White or blue smoke from exhaust - poss turbo issues

Check header coolant tank for oil

Check chassis is solid

Check for dashboard warning lights, you occasionally get a fault ABS sensor on the front which can throw up odd warnings

Check all gears and low ratios

Check service history

Everything is fix-able.

Hope it is a good one.

Air bags do fail. Usually you get a warning, suspension right down one side one morning. Its possible to fit a coil spring conversion but it does not ride quite a nicely on road especially when towing with some weight on. Oil down the ECU cable is a well known issue and wil casue the engine to refuse to start without prior warning. Cleaning the terminals where they enter teh ECU is a short term fix. I have had a couple of Disco's both needed injectors at 180,000 miles. Injectors seize up, TD5 is common rail so new ones are expensive but plenty of breakers around with 90k on the clock.

Dash warning lights, thats again a well known issue, can throw up to 5 warning lights up, switch off and on resets them. Gearbox, get an auto, I have never had the least issue with an auto, both mine did 260k plus. Manual boxes tend to faf the syncro on 2nd.

Never had a turbo issue with any LR, have had 4 since 1994.

Disco is much better value than Defender. Dont buy the V6 one though, money pit.

A

• 3 weeks later...

And by the same logic would you not think that maybe landrover wouldst be aware of this and do something to prevent it maybe a change of materials. Not just push it out to the customer and say well it is a landrover.your blind loyalty is admirable but the facts are that based on consumer study of all car brands land rover were found to be the worse with 71% of all there vehicles breaking down at least once a year.of course the Japanese take all the top ten places.I would be interested to hear why you believe that being in the legal profession would make you an expert on cars.Maybe better placed to know the laws on trading standards and consumer rights.Not many spend their free time under the bonnet.

Not blind loyalty, common sense. So working on this logic any new vehicle can have the exhaust system changed regularly as it's bound to get scratched and corrosion marks, along with marks in the mudflaps, towbar, under the bumpers etc, etc :good: And of course there's the front of caravans , not fit for purpose ? "A" frames on new trailers, not fit for purpose?

Sorry, but I think there's something not quite right here. :hmm: And just don't believe it :no:

Not blind loyalty, common sense. So working on this logic any new vehicle can have the exhaust system changed regularly as it's bound to get scratched and corrosion marks, along with marks in the mudflaps, towbar, under the bumpers etc, etc :good: And of course there's the front of caravans , not fit for purpose ? "A" frames on new trailers, not fit for purpose?

Sorry, but I think there's something not quite right here. :hmm: And just don't believe it :no:

I think you are stretching a point to far now.of course nobody expects the exhaust and other under body protection parts to be changed during to normal wear.However the parts he had changed should have been of a standard to not have rusted within the first year.The vehicle has just covered two thousand miles all of this done on good main roads it's never been off tarmac.It has in the last week been back to land rover as the front bumper also had to be repainted but for some reason they thought it was OK to paint straight over what look like fibres.He paid 26k for this vehicle and as I have said he now realises the mistake he is currently looking for another vehicle a shogun or rav.And believe it or not the landrover will be parked in a barn and forgotten about.I personally would get rid and take the hit but it's his choice.in case you have forgotten I have owned over the years landrover. Disco and range rover.If they had served me well I would say so but I am sorry to have to say they were well below average.

As you are such an ardent fan of these vehicles if he decides that he is going to sell I will pm you his details and you can purchase it he will tell you truthfully his reasons for selling.I could tell you of the cars he has in his collection but as you can't believe a landrover could be poor it's not worth it.

Edited by bostonmick