Which semi-auto choke?

Tomo-1

Impressive - What size is the paper?

40" Wide x 47" High

post-22823-0-34463800-1447697417_thumb.jpg

Also 60yrd 42gms PWS 4 shot. Someone saw a Pink I shot Sunday and thought I'd shot it flying upside down !!!!!!

As the Shot had clean passed through the Pink I'm not into Sky Busting but that Goose and others was a Tad over 40yrd !!!!!!!

Very very good patterns for 60 yrd

And anyone who says steel isn't effective beyond 40 yrd is either a terrible shot or is using **** shells .I use steel all the time and don't use lead for wildfowl inland even though by law I can ,but if you want to restrict your shots to 40 yrd Max then that's upto you but don't preach to others who consistently use it (and get clean kills ) a bit further

Very very good patterns for 60 yrd

And anyone who says steel isn't effective beyond 40 yrd is either a terrible shot or is using **** shells .I use steel all the time and don't use lead for wildfowl inland even though by law I can ,but if you want to restrict your shots to 40 yrd Max then that's upto you but don't preach to others who consistently use it (and get clean kills ) a bit further

Thank you.

100% agree with your thoughts on Steel

Im less worried by people underestimating steel shot and its capabilities .............. The trouble some people have is not using big enough steel shot. Forget 5's......... 4's are for teal, close wigeon........3's General duck shooting.........2's good range mallard, close goose....1's. B,BB,BBB for goosing! As some of us have been caught out on a goose flight with BBB in and shot duck can confirm they pattern a great on ducks! No pricked duck yet. Advantage of larger steel is none left in meat either!

Very good patterns Boyd!

Found this video. It shows how effective steel can actually be at ranges.

And this is before modern powders and high performance rounds. So i do believe steel is effective at range if the shot is put in the right place. It changed my opinion on steel shot. Yes i personally wouldnt shoot at some of the birds this guy does as i dont think my abilities are good enough.

as an aside can you shoot pinks on a Sunday in Norfolk..thought they were off limits on a Sunday?

NO it is NOT LEGAL to shoot Wildfowl on Sunday in the County of Norfolk

Where did I ever put in my post I was illegally shooting Wildfowl !!!!!!!

Perhaps IF you read propally I DID put in brackets LEGALLY shot on Sunday.

I for one won't put exact places I shoot for obvious reasons but rest assured myself was NOT breaking the Law.

But thanks for pointing out your concerns about someone who been Wildfowling for 46 years

i am a total novice on the foreshore have been out once @ Brancaster/Wells..,my post was in no way a go at you,it was my naive understanding from back of my mind that cannot shoot 'fowl on a sunday in certain counties...Norfolk being one of them...I am so pleased you have been wildfowling for 46 years.....my aside was for clarification because I am not sure.atb.

i am a total novice on the foreshore have been out once @ Brancaster/Wells..,my post was in no way a go at you,it was my naive understanding from back of my mind that cannot shoot 'fowl on a sunday in certain counties...Norfolk being one of them...I am so pleased you have been wildfowling for 46 years.....my aside was for clarification because I am not sure.atb.

No problem.

If you come from West Sussex how'd you manage to get out fowling Brancaster an Wells

won a CA raffle/blind auction(cant remember which) years ago and a nice local fowler who lived in Brancaster took me out with his 8 bore.....amazing experience walking out at 4.30am took a good hour in the dark jumping ditches/wading with a decent hangover...will never forget the sound of the roost waking up and then the 'squadrons' flying over...incredible...if lived nearer would happily go out without a gun....I also remember the hail/the cold lying in a ditch but those memories are nothing compared to the geese..sight&sound...quite awesome....foreshore is hard core and nothing like my usual shooting...carrying 2 geese and a couple of ducks back took nearly 90 minutes and I remember being absolutely whacked.....finished off with a massive full english in The golf club.......think I got full circulation back about 3 days later!!! This must have been 10 years ago but still ingrained. Massive respect for the foreshore the wildfowlers the location and especially the skeins of geese...incredible.

won a CA raffle/blind auction(cant remember which) years ago and a nice local fowler who lived in Brancaster took me out with his 8 bore.....amazing experience walking out at 4.30am took a good hour in the dark jumping ditches/wading with a decent hangover...will never forget the sound of the roost waking up and then the 'squadrons' flying over...incredible...if lived nearer would happily go out without a gun....I also remember the hail/the cold lying in a ditch but those memories are nothing compared to the geese..sight&sound...quite awesome....foreshore is hard core and nothing like my usual shooting...carrying 2 geese and a couple of ducks back took nearly 90 minutes and I remember being absolutely whacked.....finished off with a massive full english in The golf club.......think I got full circulation back about 3 days later!!! This must have been 10 years ago but still ingrained. Massive respect for the foreshore the wildfowlers the location and especially the skeins of geese...incredible.

Top Man well done.

I won't go into detail but unfortunately alot has changed in the last 10 years and not for the better

Hi. I have decided to take the plunge and get myself a 3 shot semi-auto for the marsh. We get mostly duck with the odd chance of a goose.

What choke should I fit? I am an OK shot and will be using steel, I do not shoot at very long range birds . I know there is not a one size fits all answer, just a compromise will do. Thanks.

Getting back to your original question I have done a bit of research on the question of which choke to use with steel shot as I am about to start using it myself and the answer seems to be from the experts nothing tighter than 1/2 choke hope this helps

Getting back to your original question I have done a bit of research on the question of which choke to use with steel shot as I am about to start using it myself and the answer seems to be from the experts nothing tighter than 1/2 choke hope this helps

My advice to you and other novices is take note and listen to those that Coastal Wildfowl.

Also those with plenty of honest experience ( not 25-40 yrd shooters ) will add it's not just the case of 1/2 choke is best as I've recently found out.

To get the best you need to match choke to cartridges to gun.

I use this example as I personally know Farma Geddon and Muncher have spent hrs fine tuning loads to choke combination.

Those two gentlemen undoubtedly know their onions.

My advice to you and other novices is take note and listen to those that Coastal Wildfowl.
Also those with plenty of honest experience ( not 25-40 yrd shooters ) will add it's not just the case of 1/2 choke is best as I've recently found out.
To get the best you need to match choke to cartridges to gun.
I use this example as I personally know Farma Geddon and Muncher have spent hrs fine tuning loads to choke combination.

Those two gentlemen undoubtedly know their onions.

I shot the cartridges I mentioned through other chokes same gun and never got the patterns I posted.

G. ( Farma Geddon ) very kindly loaded me some Cartridges ( his Duck load ) a few years back

He knows the story .

G.J. and Hammy told me your got to pattern and match Em up did I listen NO to old and stuck in my way Well as you can see I finally took all Three's advice cost a bit in Chokes powder etc but I got there.

But in spite of any pattern we achieve non of us will ever escape the fact " the Shot/Pattern HAS to be put in the right place "

Edited by 6.5x55SE