Tell me why I need a 20g hushpower

Clydebuilt

Right,

Been thinking if getting a 20g O/U like the investarm/pedretti model for a while now.

The farmer I shoot for has asked me to clear some ground of corvids which is close to houses & stables on one side of a glen, the 12g fairly booms off the glen and early morning decoying isn't really an option due to noise.

I'd prefer the 20 over a 410 ( & a 12 for that matter) but who owns a 20g O/U and what's your thoughts.

Not seeing many for sale either, any going on here?

Cheers

Shooting stuff isn't the only way to make it clear off somewhere else if noise is an issue. Go and look at the reason that the corvs are coming to this place and remove the reason or make the place unattractive to visit, eg scarecrow or something. If you just want to shoot stuff then find out where it is coming from and sort it out there or where noise isn't a problem. Or get an airgun.

He's growing wholecrop & the scarecrows ain't cutting it.

The whole glen is alive with them & only parts of it are shot on.

Larsen's & ladders were ripped apart by vandals.

He has asked if i'd decoy them so I will oblige

So, back on track, anyone else using the 20g hushpower?

Why not a 28 gauge without moderator probably as quite as a moderated 20 gauge without the limits of moderator

No where near I am afraid, moderator really does bring noise down on my mossberg 410 to to no louder than as air rifle without a silencer, I assume the 20b moderator is not far behind.

This is a good price for a new one, I'm sure he'll RFD it.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Hushpower_Shotgun_For-Sale_120502104152001

Whatever you do, if you buy second hand, make sure it is the new type with the larger tube and monoblock baffle, they are a much better system than the old washer type baffles.

Edited by sitsinhedges

This is a good price for a new one, I'm sure he'll RFD it.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Hushpower_Shotgun_For-Sale_120502104152001

Whatever you do, if you buy second hand, make sure it is the new type with the larger tube and monoblock baffle, they are a much better system than the old washer type baffles.

That's excellent info thanks very much, glad I asked on here first, I'd never have know the newer model is a mono block baffle.

Cheers

Corvids easily dealt with make and set a ladder trap you will easily get 120 in an afternoon...solves your farmers problem in an afternoon

The problem now starts you come around the corner and find 120 corvids you then have to get in the trap and dispatch of your catch its like Hitchcock's birds you will never be the same again

Or

Get a 20 bore hushpower it will take longer but you won't be psychologically scared

Is that a good enough reason?

I got a Mossberg 410 hushpower great gun looking back should have got the 20 but would not trade in now I have it

Edited by psycho

I use 18g eley magnum in 7 fibre, has both pattern and power to drop targets out to 35 yards.

6 and 5 fail pattern wise at less than 30 yards and 25 yards, though individual pellets may bring a bird down, they don't kill reliably.

Have used fiocchi in 19g 7.5it, (UK 7) and not bad either, but plaswad and prefer fibre eley.

Currently going to load up some 21g in 7 to try.

i have used eley subsonics and eley magnums side by side and no noticeable difference in volume between the two.

When I had the .410 husher I found that with a limited amount of small pellets as much speed as possible was welcome, and like you found no difference between the standard and subs. It's not really an issue with the 20gauge, I had a round of clays with mine this morning shooting 23grams of 7.5 then went on to shoot a brace of pheasants with 30grams of 5 on the way home.

The best cartridge bar none is the

Eley extra long 18 gr 6 shot in fiber

Followed by eley extra long 18 grain sub sonic also in fibre there is not much noticeable notice diffrance in sound

if you want very quiet eley 12.5 6 shot four long small 65mm is very quiet

I tried all brands eley most consistant grouped the best and sonics give 3-5 yards more than the sub's both are my chosen cartridge

Edited by psycho