Which is best

hpenrith

Depends what you want, by general opinion the hw100 is the better of the two but oth have their own merits.

HW100 is a heavy and big beast but the Ultra is small and light, this mattets if you are lugging them around a field.

Due to the difference in size of the air rifles it can matter based on your physical size.

Both will shoot at around the same ftlbs but you should get more shots out of the hw100.

Both can be as accurate as each other

Its not so much which is the best but rather which is the best for you!

Accuracy wise not sure .. HW has shot count (50% greater) .. Ultra has a good positive bolt system. HW has a fantastic lever system .. HW carbine is not overly heavy. BSA Ultra is light.

I like both the trigger feel of either rifle

Both good hunting rifles .. if you're happy to lay out the extra money, l'd suggest the HW carbine is the one to go for. Though both will suffice hunting wise.

pistol.

Downside the Ultra can double feed pellets even the Hatsan doesn't do that.

That is true ..

Regards "HW is leagues ahead" .. that is a general could mean anything or nothing throw away remark.

A rifle is a tube and a form of mechanism that projects a pellet to an intended target. How accurate and consistant that function occurs has the major relevance regarding the rifles worth.

So tell me mole, what is the meaning "leagues ahead" regards the pellet leaving the tube and striking the intended target ..

Quite simple, HW build quality, even these days, is well ahead of BSA. BSA are continually being plagued with problems, not working/failing air gauges on the Ultra, magazine problems (all models), seal problems (all models), heck even the legendary BSA accuracy is rapidly becoming an item of history. The other half had a Scorpion SE that had to make the trip back to Birmingham because it grouped so badly you could not zero it (worn mandrels are suspected).

Though we had problems with 2 x HW95s that had poorly finished springs they were much better finished than anything that came from BSA/Gamo.

Mole, your history of air rifle returns due to apparent faults is legendary... l respect "you expressing" you're opinion. Though it's vague and confusing. 0r plain unlucky to the extreme, maybe!

BSA Ultra or HW Carbine .. l'd choose the HW carbine. Probably for aesthetics, 14 shot magazine and improved shot count.

Might be worth a visit to youtube to see the accuracy of the HW 100 & BSA Ultra .. both impressive when user is proficient

Don't let mole buy it for you! ... its will almost certainly be sent back, faulty ;-)

Edited by hoggysreels

Depends what you want, by general opinion the hw100 is the better of the two but oth have their own merits.

HW100 is a heavy and big beast but the Ultra is small and light, this mattets if you are lugging them around a field.

Due to the difference in size of the air rifles it can matter based on your physical size.

Both will shoot at around the same ftlbs but you should get more shots out of the hw100.

Both can be as accurate as each other

Its not so much which is the best but rather which is the best for you!

Thankyou

Quite simple, HW build quality, even these days, is well ahead of BSA. BSA are continually being plagued with problems, not working/failing air gauges on the Ultra, magazine problems (all models), seal problems (all models), heck even the legendary BSA accuracy is rapidly becoming an item of history. The other half had a Scorpion SE that had to make the trip back to Birmingham because it grouped so badly you could not zero it (worn mandrels are suspected).

Though we had problems with 2 x HW95s that had poorly finished springs they were much better finished than anything that came from BSA/Gamo.

Thanks

don't get hw100 in 22 ive just traded one in for a bsa scorpion 177,the hw 100 was shooting all over the place,and its not just mine my mate had I in 22 and that was the same as well,so hunting I use bsa ultra in 177,much more accurate.

pistol.

Downside the Ultra can double feed pellets even the Hatsan doesn't do that.

not with the latest magazine it wont.

Mole, your history of air rifle returns due to apparent faults is legendary... l respect "you expressing" you're opinion. Though it's vague and confusing. 0r plain unlucky to the extreme, maybe!

BSA Ultra or HW Carbine .. l'd choose the HW carbine. Probably for aesthetics, 14 shot magazine and improved shot count.

Might be worth a visit to youtube to see the accuracy of the HW 100 & BSA Ultra .. both impressive when user is proficient

Don't let mole buy it for you! ... its will almost certainly be sent back, faulty ;-)

I have had a run of bad when buying, never hat a problem with an HW100 though, never had a problem with BSA with the Super 10, the HW feels better built to the hand though.

Had an Ultra too, an MMC job that worked, but I hated it. That got sold back to the same gunshop we bought it from. Never could get on with doing the hokey cokey to take a shot. The SE Ultra with the Scorpion bolt action is a lot better for reloading.

don't get hw100 in 22 ive just traded one in for a bsa scorpion 177,the hw 100 was shooting all over the place,and its not just mine my mate had I in 22 and that was the same as well,so hunting I use bsa ultra in 177,much more accurate.

Er oh yes it will, the latest magazine is auto indexing, has nothing to do with anti double loading. Out of the pair only the HW has the anti double loading mechanism.

Edited by secretagentmole

Now don't laugh, bought a sub 12 Super 10 from an Auction, turned out to be an FAC with an FAC reg on it. Managed to get a refund and them to collect it, saw a sub 12 advertised at the Gun Shop in Rugby, bought it, got it home, running at 13.8 ft lb! Spoke to them, had to take it to a local RFD who examined it, adjusted the hammer spring and now it is running at 11.5ft lbs! The Gun Shop in Rugby paid for the repair! Damned decent folks!

There must be something in what you say!

Sorry, but the HW100 is notoriously pellet fussy. Once you have found the right pellet, it is a machine. I can tell by the first couple of shots if my HW is going to shoot well or not with a particular make. For some reason my HW likes Accupels, so thats what I buy.

I am not familiar with the BSA but the 14shot mag with simple cocking lever on the HW is faultless and reliable. No messing for pellets when its dark and lamping rabbits :)

Edited by trickyh

Doesn't make you a bad person mole; quite the contrary! .. though an unlucky person airgun wise, that, l'd suggest you are. Here's hoping your luck changes mate ;-)

Don't wish that if it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all lol!

Besides the good old Hatsan Galatian certainly brought home the dinners the other night!

I was torn by a BSA of some kind vs a HW100, I went for the HW100 in the end as its better made IMO, has the 14 shot mag and the weight can be reduced by a A&M cylinder, the HW100 also comes with two mags and a silencer in the price so saves you some money there too.

Am happy and thats the way I would recomend to anyone else !

ATB

Matt