No Alliant steel at the moment - Alternatives?

Richie10

Vitavouri N350 and 3N38 do a similar job to A Steel but not directly comparable. I have been using 3N38 a fair bit lately and its ok.

A Steel is a good all rounder and ANY ONE powder will strugle to beat it, and when you look at the amount of data out there for A steel it wins hands down as a non tox powder, and that even when you take in to account the lot to lot variations that it has.

When Alliant Steel is not available I have used Blue Dot and a few months ago I got a tub of Hodgdons Longshot but not used it yet, I have enough Steel for this season. Loading data for Blue Dot and Longshot is available on line at the Ballistic Products website only problem can be some of the components are hard to get over here but they can be found if you search or if a couple of folk get together and bring in what they need from US, a bit expensive but do'able. Hope this helps.

Longshot seems to be really versatile powder and the Hodgdon website has plenty of recipes including many for Cheddite cases and primers,

Longshot seems to be really versatile powder and the Hodgdon website has plenty of recipes including many for Cheddite cases and primers,

Yes it is versatile but if your loading steel shot dont rely on there site. I am using longshot at the moment in my loads and its not bad. It does generate high pressures but the speeds in some of the loads for it are really impressive.

I have only loaded a few and patternd them and im impressed with them so far.

My next outing im taking the chrono to check them.

If you load with longshot i would reccomend using the data in the status of steel book. Theres some really impressive data for it in there for 3&1/2 inch hulls just waiting on my new wads to try them out.

Edited by hatsanmad

Found this data for a 3&1/2in fedral pb hull and longshot.

Fed pb hull

Fed 209a primer

37 grain of longshot

Mm1235 wad

1&1/2 oz of steel BB

Producing 13400 psi

And 1525 fps

I havent tried this load yet as im just waiting on my wads but if its anything like the 3 inch data it should be good.

The 3in i have patternd is

Ched hull

Cx2000 primer

24 grain of longshot

Mm1230

Ty58 card over shot i just used my homemade ones which worked just fine.

1&1/4 oz of steel shot

Producing 11000psi

And 1250fps

Not very fast but patterns well for my gun with ones and 2s

Load# 90109-326

HULL: FEDERAL 12-gauge 3.50” (#0621235)

PRIMER: FED239

PROPELLANT: HODGDON LONGSHOT 37. 0 Grains

WAD: FS12 gas seal (#072FS12)+MM1230 (#3221230 )

Mica dust wad please.

SHOT: 1-1/4 ounce STEEL shot (546 grains).

BUFFER: None

FOLD CRIMP: 6-point (Always recommended for new hulls).

Results: 13400 PSI 1550 FPS

Already a CURMUDGEON favorite!

the 11/2oz load is a miss print do not load this! this is a 11/4oz load and is hot at that shot weight

Does your comment apply to all longshot recipes ? I use Lead and Bismuth recipes from the hodgdon website and they seem ok, not so sure now :unhappy:

just steel loads /bpi data can be a bit off like the misprint above .I use it a lot with light steel loads so I can spot a lemon strait away . if you ring /email hodgdon they will tell you steel shot and longshot don't go well together that's why there is non on there website but there data for lead and bismuth is good