.177 FAC Springer ?

Danoi99

HW80s are designed to run at way more than UK power limits. Out of the box a US spec 80 puts out around 17 - 19 ft-lb.

Why run such a heavy gun, designed for FAC power levels, at 12 ft-lb? The hold sensitivity of springers can depend more on the quality of the tune than the power output in my experience. I would be tempted to go the HW route and play around with the spring length, pre-load and internal surface preparation and lubrication. You could easily end up with a fairly tame, powerful, fuss free classic airgun with a really useful range.

HW80s are designed to run at way more than UK power limits. Out of the box a US spec 80 puts out around 17 - 19 ft-lb.

Why run such a heavy gun, designed for FAC power levels, at 12 ft-lb? The hold sensitivity of springers can depend more on the quality of the tune than the power output in my experience. I would be tempted to go the HW route and play around with the spring length, pre-load and internal surface preparation and lubrication. You could easily end up with a fairly tame, powerful, fuss free classic airgun with a really useful range.

:-) wallet friendly too.

Exactly. They are not that heavy weight because they are agricultural. They were initially designed as a FAC rated springer, or so I understand.

UPDATE: I spoke to the firearms team the other day and requested 2 slots for .22. After listening to the input from you lot, plus doing a fair bit of reading on the subject I decided to get rid of the .177 option.

I'm no expert in the subject, so I'm grateful for the advice.........that's what PW is for. I will take the plunge into RF once I've got back into the swing of rifle shooting, and I'm really looking forward to the precision buzz again.

Thanks very much for all your sage advice...............wasn't wasted !! :good: