Cartridge Care

Guttersnipe

Just interested how people look after their unfired cartridges after a visit to the marsh - This has never been a big problem for me previously, i always have my left coat pocket full of 3" Ely Lightening No1 for geese and the right pocket with 2 3/4" Eley VIP/Gamebore No 3 or 4. After a flight i empty the unused shells out of my pockets, wipe dry and if they've had a particular dousing with wet/muddy gloves, the brass gets a wipe with WD40. However this year i've had a significant number of totally dead shells and miss-fires with just smoke and flame.

I'm not doing anything different to what i've always done and don't buy cheap cartridges, storing them in a warm dry area and using them within a season.

You'll all appreciate how frustrating it is to have waited for an opportunity for hours only for the pin to fall on a dead shell... anyone got any hints or tips? Tried a belt but they get wetter/muddier as most of the time i'm laying in a gutter?

Regards,

GS

I lightly grease the brass on mine with Halfords white spray grease and this seems to stop most of the rust.

Like you I'm mostly laying in a gutter and a belt is useless or hard to get at inside chest waders. I use one of these (pic attached} the 2 hooks clip onto your wader straps and it sits just inside the top of your waders. Picked it up in America last time I was there, never seen one over here. Manufactured by RedHead.post-67947-0-41386600-1446828364_thumb.jpg

All good tips - much appreciated

Fenboy- unfortunately I only have nail varnish in "hot fushia pink" will that work or is that only to be saved for going out in Cleethorps on a Saturday night! ;)

Cheers for your responses

I think it would be a little bright for the marsh unfortunately :)

Neither have I and some get so rusty I have to reload some of them cause they don't fit.

Would likely fit in the ten. Would that be acceptable?

I have seen your bro cussing at some damp eley lightnings , though the dreaded click is quite funny when its not coming from your own gun :)

I use a small camo cartridge bag waterproof of coarse....keeps them sweet and I can get my calls smokes and lighter and mobile phone....cost £20 and is spot on!also it just drops into my big bag when deciding and when out on the mud its over my shoulder with good strap that goes across you!

Edited by Robbie Forster

Back in the lead days I can never remember having a problem with rust on shells after being out on a wet flight. I even had an Eley Alphamax that was left in a pocket when my mum washed my jeans. That shell later killed a wigeon.Today it can be a serious problem. I have been told that the so called brass heads no longer have any brass in them so are now very prone to rusting. As others have said WD40 can losen the seal between the primer and shell head so perhaps damp in getting into your powder there. My usual pratice is to wipe the shell head with a oiled rag ( 3 in 1 oil ) making sure i leave a film of oil on the "brass" head. Any head that does get seriously rusty is rubbed down with a fine sand paper before being oiled. The other thing is to keep rotating shells so you do not keep any in your pockets for any length of time before being fired.

Bit of vasaline on a cloth,, quick wipe around the brass and crimp or RTO, then into a plastic cartridge box ( not sure if C&G sell these)

Not sure what cartridges you guys use but in 10g cheddites and remingtons rust like hell, and this is the best way I have found to keep them from rusting.....

Vasaline is also good on the gun,, give it wipe with a vasaline impregnated cloth before taking on the marsh,, vasaline smears rather than coming of in your hands... Not a long term rust proofing solution but it does work for me...

Be carefull when buying vasaline as you may get asked what your going to use it for........ If you say your going to rub it on your weapon before taking it out on the salt marsh........ You will be looked at in a strange way and talked about after you leave the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a small drawstring bag, from boots or any chemists that you would use in a travel bag for a flannel or soap.put 10 in each bag and 6 in my pocket .... 3 for gun 3 for reload so the max i can get soaked is 3 in a flight. when i clean my gun with V90 patches i spray the patch with a V90 spray and put it in a sealed tupperware box with some cartridges.

Or didn't as the case may be. :lol: I never.

If you mirth ridden people would care to watch the video of said event , available at considerable expense from Muncher Man licher films,you would notice that I casually loaded one cartridge and killed a pink from the bunch at 58.9 yards 2" .

So there.

Edited by Farma Geddon