Crashed My Car!

Marksman1997

I suspect the police have much better things to do than report that to the insurance company given nobody else was involved or hurt. IMO the only way the insurance company will find out is if you tell them or make a claim. As it was third party only, you and your parents have nothing to gain and a lot to lose by virtue of raised premiums for a few years.

I suspect the police have much better things to do than report that to the insurance company given nobody else was involved or hurt. IMO the only way the insurance company will find out is if you tell them or make a claim. As it was third party only, you and your parents have nothing to gain and a lot to lose by virtue of raised premiums for a few years.

So if in most cases police don't inform insurance then i should maybe not tell insurance and may avoid any increase. Insurance is already pretty ridiculous these days and insurance for my car was crazy.

So if in most cases police don't inform insurance then i should maybe not tell insurance and may avoid any increase. Insurance is already pretty ridiculous these days and insurance for my car was crazy.

I never declared mine and I've had some crashes, wrote off every car that I owned up to the age of 25 averaging at least 2 a year. All were third party so nothing to do with insurance company.

Guest rimotu66

I do not see why Marksman needs to inform anyone, the police attended and took no action, he has not claimed off the insurance (read as Parasite) company and no one is claiming off him.

Having said that I have just found this on moneysupermarket.com

'Do I need to tell my insurer about an accident?

Even if you choose not to claim on your insurance you must still notify your provider that you've been involved in an accident, or that your car has been criminally damaged. Failure to be honest with your insurer now could result in your being refused cover, or accused of insurance fraud, later down the line.

Just be clear that you wish to provide the details for information purposes only, in order to prevent your insurer starting to process a claim on your behalf.

Most insurance companies set a time limit within which all motoring incidents must be reported to them - so check how long you have to contact your insurer and tell them about what's happened, even if you've decided to pay for any car repairs yourself.'

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/if-youre-in-an-accident it clearly states that you have to inform IF 'you have an accident causing damage or injury'. In Marksmans case there was no damage or injury.

Edited by rimotu66

I never declared mine and I've had some crashes, wrote off every car that I owned up to the age of 25 averaging at least 2 a year. All were third party so nothing to do with insurance company.

im third party so is it definitely ok not to tell them?

I am really caught in 2 minds here.

Good info from Rimotu66. Thanks.

Edited by Marksman1997

Well, if it's any consolation, plenty of people I know have failed off motorcycles and NOT told their insurers, can you imagine if motorbike falls over and you have to phone insurers? Crazy.

Of course they'd want you to tell them, as they could apply more money to your premium. If I actually was to tell them, I'd give them a very biased and watered down version. "Diesel on road, driving within speed limit for road and condition, car lost traction and mounted grass, damage not applicable" and leave it as that.

Failing to tell the insurer, as some have suggested, is okay up to a point. The likelihood of them finding out is slim.

However, if the OP is ever involved in an accident where someone was seriously injured, and CPS prosecuted, it could emerge.

At that point, the insurer might well disown the OP - leaving him with life changing damages claims. He would then have the rest of his life to reflect on the value of the advice he had been given. Dishing out advice is easy, with no responsibility. Taking advice is less easy.

I think an insurance company might take a different view on skidding off the road into a ditch than dinging your door on a bollard in the supermarket! I think the fact the police attended may mean there's a record somewhere (don't they have to log any incident they attend? May be wrong).

There is a thing called duty of disclosure I believe, where by the insurance company works on a level of trust with the client that they have disclosed anything that may materially affect the level of premium (in this case the fact that the OP had an accident and this will have an impact on their determination of risk level). Should the insured not disclose this to them they have the right to negate the insurance.

Edited by MrM

"My dad is a farmer and he knows the man which field i landed in and he helped lift it onto my dads trailer and is at our farm now. So no claim i don't think".

There's a bend locally that has cars regularly leaving the road and ending up in a farmer's field. The farmer has got so fed up he now has his insurance company pursue claims against the owners of cars landing in his field. It might be worth checking that the field owner isn't going to claim.

"My dad is a farmer and he knows the man which field i landed in and he helped lift it onto my dads trailer and is at our farm now. So no claim i don't think".

There's a bend locally that has cars regularly leaving the road and ending up in a farmer's field. The farmer has got so fed up he now has his insurance company pursue claims against the owners of cars landing in his field. It might be worth checking that the field owner isn't going to claim.

Owner of the field won't claim. Farmers field that i landed in. Has his farm about 200-300 Metres away from each other so they know each other quite well.

At the end of the day, it is up to you. I take the point about people having supermarket dings. I really don't think this is the type of accident that insurers are interested in.

I would imagine that any insurer would be more than slightly alarmed that they might be insuring someone with this record. I do not think they would subscribe to the view that it was none of their business. That said, I would worry that someone with a driving record such as the above was actually driving at all.

At the end of the day, it is up to you. I take the point about people having supermarket dings. I really don't think this is the type of accident that insurers are interested in.

I would imagine that any insurer would be more than slightly alarmed that they might be insuring someone with this record. I do not think they would subscribe to the view that it was none of their business. That said, I would worry that someone with a driving record such as the above was actually driving at all.

Everyone was young once I grew up around car's and motor bikes so I enjoyed them more than most teenagers my age. One good thing came from it though I ended out a time served painter /pannelbeater.

I grew up with cars and bikes and have owned more than most. I hope it made me respect the vehicle and a better driver. I have difficulty understanding anyone who grew up with cars writing two a year off.

Forgive me for being judgemental, but that was rank stupidity.

Stupidity maybe but Its made me a better driver rider, had an XR2 when I was 17, golf GTi when I was 18 the golf which I built from a 1.3 shell and I suppose I drove them like I stole them and paid the ultimate price each time. I moved onto bikes at 21 and progressed to a 3 month old R1 within 12 months of passing my test but lucky for me I'm better on 2 wheels than 4 and never suffered any major offs.

• 3 weeks later...

Read this on another forum and thought it suited your situation

you do have to inform your insurer if you've been in an accident. You should send your insurer a letter telling them what's happened re the diesel on the bend and there was no other vehicle involved , as your policy is TPFT you will repair the broken indicator on your vehicle at your own expense ,SORTED

Edited by AULD YIN

The police have access to the insurance database - this is how they know if you are insured or not - so it would be very silly not to notify your insurer. Contractually you should so if they are notified by police you may struggle to get insurance or at a heavily loaded rate. Make it very clear no one else involved and no claim on your policy. Were police not involved then it would be purely down to your conscious - millions of minor bumps never get reported. I've got an elderly couple near me who somehow seem to pick up 4/5 bumps per annum and they then get a local body repairer to patch car up once a year. Awful drivers - we breath a sigh of relief if we go past their house and both cars are in the driveway!!

Ending up in a ditch is not really an accident unless a claim is made or a charge is brought. Inform your insurance and they will load your policy even if there is no claim, thats what they do these days. Its up to you but I would deny it ever was "an accident", there was oil on the road, thats all happened