Wildfowling Experience - First Timer

ghosthunter

I was lucky enough to find a nice chap to take me out on the marsh the other day to accompany him whilst he shot some fowl. Ordinarily I may have been bored just sitting there in a stinky waterlogged marsh gulley and chatting to someone I had never met before whilst he shot and I didnt however instead the time passed so quickly and I learned so much in just a few hours. OK, the quarry was mainly wigeon but I learned what to look out for to have a good chance of a decent bag and also how to decoy them in without decoys and only using pieces of paper! Cant wait to get my guest ticket to have a "shot" at it myself now and hopefully get my name down on the waiting list if Im lucky enough to get the sponsorship I need to join from the chap that took me out. If you're reading this then you know who you are!

Not only that but I took a brace of wigeon home with me which I breasted and scoffed tonight after soaking it in salt water for 2 days in the fridge. Pan fried for 3 mins a side like a good steak and lightly peppered.... mmmmmm!

I can see how it can be so addictive even in poor weather! Out on the marsh alone or with a friend waiting for the silhouette of a duck to pass by and then if you're lucky enough to get them in close enough, taking the shot, watching the bird fold and plummet to earth and then later on preparing it for the table with a hearty meal in mind!

Cant wait until next time!

Keith

I was lucky enough to find a nice chap to take me out on the marsh the other day to accompany him whilst he shot some fowl. Ordinarily I may have been bored just sitting there in a stinky waterlogged marsh gulley and chatting to someone I had never met before whilst he shot and I didnt however instead the time passed so quickly and I learned so much in just a few hours. OK, the quarry was mainly wigeon but I learned what to look out for to have a good chance of a decent bag and also how to decoy them in without decoys and only using pieces of paper! Cant wait to get my guest ticket to have a "shot" at it myself now and hopefully get my name down on the waiting list if Im lucky enough to get the sponsorship I need to join from the chap that took me out. If you're reading this then you know who you are!

Not only that but I took a brace of wigeon home with me which I breasted and scoffed tonight after soaking it in salt water for 2 days in the fridge. Pan fried for 3 mins a side like a good steak and lightly peppered.... mmmmmm!

I can see how it can be so addictive even in poor weather! Out on the marsh alone or with a friend waiting for the silhouette of a duck to pass by and then if you're lucky enough to get them in close enough, taking the shot, watching the bird fold and plummet to earth and then later on preparing it for the table with a hearty meal in mind!

Cant wait until next time!

Keith

sounds like great stuff, next year i want to buy a day or two out there wild fowling too