FEO Vist

Hamish99

Hi All

I travelled to airport on Friday to travel to work however my flight got cancelled due to weather,

So i returned back home to find a card from police regarding my application for my SGC so i contacted the FEO and made an appointment for the 27th of Nov however my flights got cancelled again on the Saturday

so i travelled home and contacted the FEO to ask him if he could fit me in which he did in the afternoon so a big thumbs for that and thank you Police Scotland (Edinburgh).

I think all went well with the visit he did say that he would recommend that i get my cert. However he did say that he was not happy for me to store the guns at home when i,am away at work (Any thoughts)

Cheers Hamish.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hamish

If you have a cabinet that is locked and out of sight then you are complying with the law.

Once you have your SGC, ask him why he is creating his own laws!

He isn't creating any law's he was simply commenting he wasn't happy with the storage situation.

And now you are creating a new law!

Blimey, so every time I go to work I need to drop my pop guns off at the RFD, :no:

If the OP is away for months on end then maybe i can see the concern, :yes: otherwise he is complying with the regulations, the matter of liking those regulations is neither here nor there.

If the applicant fits a cabinet and it is secure and out of sight the fact that the house is unoccupied due to the OP being away with work should not be mentioned as a potential problem.

My FEO also commented about me being out at work and the guns being left alone all day. Said he wasn`t keen on granting me a certificate because there was a high crime rate in my area. Even asked me if I`d consider putting my cabinet at an SGC holding friends house. Eventually told me to put extra locks on the windows and said he`d come round and check that I`d complied. He never returned and my SGC was granted before any extra security was added.

I`d say what I thought of him but it would only get censored.

Blimey, so every time I go to work I need to drop my pop guns off at the RFD, :no:

If the OP is away for months on end then maybe i can see the concern, :yes: otherwise he is complying with the regulations, the matter of liking those regulations is neither here nor there.

For all we know the op could be away for months at a time hence the feo's concerns. On the other hand the feo may be just covering his own backside, and in this day and age who could blame him.

My nephew went to work in New Zealand for 6 months last year, his FEO didn't express any concern at all.

He has at all times complied with the terms and conditions of requirements for owning firearms, even when he wasn't there. That is all that is required.

Let's make another mountain out of a molehill in true PW fashion. 👍

Hi Hamish, quick question for you. What security do you have currently? I'm applying for my FAC in the next few weeks and just wondering what other people who work away from home have?

I work offshore and wanted a guess if there should be any extra security I should apply before applying for my FAC

It doesn't take weeks on end to brake into a shotgun cabinet, whatever high spec type you have.

I have a cabinet locked away behind a heavy secure door with 5 lever lock and secure hinges. That too me is a little OTT but It makes me feel i have done as much as I can, and beyond expectations of the FEO's and there guide lines.

The law is quite clear "suitable security measures"

No need to have a gun cabinet (my father doesnt) so why do most of us use a cabinet to please our FEO.

However the guidance does state there may be a requirement for hieghten security depending on each individual situation, for example improved locks or an alarm system. I know people who would not dream of leaving their guns at home whilst they go on holiday for 2 weeks.

However I agree if the ops got a partner etc in the house whilst he's away at work for 2 weeks at a time I see no reason for different storage.

Edited by welshwarrior

The law is quite clear "suitable security measures"

No need to have a gun cabinet (my father doesnt) so why do most of us use a cabinet to please our FEO.

However the guidance does state there may be a requirement for hieghten security depending on each individual situation, for example improved locks or an alarm system. I know people who would not dream of leaving their guns at home whilst they go on holiday for 2 weeks.

However I agree if the ops got a partner etc in the house whilst he's away at work for 2 weeks at a time I see no reason for different storage.

This is the sort of things I would like to know. Anybody else who is in my position, or works away for a few weeks or whatever, please chip in.

Sorry to steal your thread Hamish.

Hi Hamish, quick question for you. What security do you have currently? I'm applying for my FAC in the next few weeks and just wondering what other people who work away from home have?

I work offshore and wanted a guess if there should be any extra security I should apply before applying for my FAC

I work local never out the house for over 24 hours. Cabinet is in a room behind a solid door with 7 lever lock house is alarmed which texts 8 numbers if it goes off cctv inside and outside of my house and 6ft 6" fence round rear of property with 8 pir lights surrounding it.

Front has pir lights and 3 cctv cameras which are all remote viewable. To top it off Ive a 10 stone Akita which won't even let my own family in.

Oh I've lived in this village for the last 35 years and can't remember the last time a house was broken into.