cracking morning flight

Fiddich

So went out last saturday to the marsh. Met up with my friend at 3:15am then drove up to the marsh. It was an 8am high tide and we had to be across the first gutter before the tide started running else we wouldnt get across. We got there around 4am and loaded our gear on our backs and set off up the track to the access. It was a hard slog in some awful mud out to our spot but we made it in 1hr 20 mins and got to work making a hide and got the decoy string out then just had time for a brew as the tide started running. my mate managed to bag a couple of wigeon early on before first light then all went a bit quiet for a couple of hours. could see duck further up the water but not coming our way. Around mid morning the geese started to lift, the calls of pinks and canadas in the distance. I had a few terrible misses then finally connected with a canada and then a mallard shortly after. We packed up before dinner and started the long slog back with our bags even heavier taking around 2 hours through some deep water that was a little to close to the top of the waders. Final bag of 3 canadas, 2 pinks, 2 wigeon and a mallard

post-62339-0-29802300-1447701344_thumb.jpg

post-62339-0-68818000-1447701344_thumb.jpg

post-62339-0-16058700-1447701345_thumb.jpg

This was a week ago Saturday and went out last night and made a right schoolboy error. Just about to collect decoys in off the splash so put my gun back in the slip and heard some pinks. To late to get my gun out as they were coming straight into the splash and my mate bagged them. Never put gun away till decoys are in haha

Well done on the shoot and even better for managing to find a sunny day to do it on but then again I guess 2 hours plodding through mud in chest waders with all the gear and the birds must have been a sweaty old job :good:

Nice looking dog too! How do you find the patience of the spaniel when you're sitting in a hide? Im in the market for a gundog for both rough shooting and fowling and everyone tells me a spaniel isnt worth the bother and i should go for a lab but I do like a springer!

It rained for 2 hours heavy it only cleared up as we left! Haha but yeah I was soaked in sweat one of the Canada's was the weight of a small child it has hell carrying it off. He isn't my dog but been out with him a good few times. He is a good dog, never stops and never gives up. Generally good in the hide, he isn't diving out although he is dying to! Struggles a little with the big Canada's but apart from that he is a star.