Teal for tea .

fenboy

I have been getting a lot of shooting in this week deciding to forego chasing pinks about in favour of some duck shooting , though I still managed to add a couple of geese on one of my duck outings.

Teal have figured highly the past few flights and today was no different and I managed 4 for 6 shots which I was quite happy with as I shot 6 earlier in the week for considerably more :oops:

Highlight of the flight was a nice left and right both of which fell well over the creek and Milo made a nice double retrieve , the second of which I videoed .

One or two pics only 3 teal in the photo as I had packed all my kit away when I shot the final one !

IMAG0363_zpsg9kwwhqt.jpg

IMAG0366_zpsks4h11lz.jpg

IMAG0368_zpshlyfzmft.jpg

IMAG0372_zpserbzmon8.jpg

Thanks I am new to this uploading to youtube lark is it working now ??

No , it say Private Video ( only suitable if over 18 ) .... I am not really interested in what you get up to in the Fens behind closed doors , although a quick peep wont do a lot of harm I suppose :lol: ,

Look a lovely area you shoot over fenboy, and well done on the Teal.

Nice pictures and a nice retrieve. Milo has become a very good and reliable dog despite an indifferent start with you.

If you judge good by the ability to get the job done then yes he is great.

If however you judge a dog to be good by his general behaviour then he is and perhaps always will be a pain , I am just going to have to start accepting as long as he gets the job done I am going to have to put up with the rest as I don't think there is going to be any changing him now.

Im a bit confused as usual!, this is my first season in wild fowling, I started in September on a local marsh next to the river with good evening flights of teal and mallard moving as the light went, I had 3 teal and 3 mallard in the first 2 -3 weeks, but since then nothing, I do see the odd teal flash past but too fast and dark for a shot, not a mallard or any other duck in sight, the pinks are all over the marshes and giving me good sport, but my favourite by far is mallard so where are they now and when if at all do they move onto the marshes, I have checked out about 4 of the 18 or so marshes we have, none of which are tidal or fore shore but its the same story, do I just keep looking at random or is there a master plan to find them before February 1st. :yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by lakeside1000

Im a bit confused as usual!, this is my first season in wild fowling, I started in September on a local marsh next to the river with good evening flights of teal and mallard moving as the light went, I had 3 teal and 3 mallard in the first 2 -3 weeks, but since then nothing, I do see the odd teal flash past but too fast and dark for a shot, not a mallard or any other duck in sight, the pinks are all over the marshes and giving me good sport, but my favourite by far is mallard so where are they now and when if at all do they move onto the marshes, I have checked out about 4 of the 18 or so marshes we have, none of which are tidal or fore shore but its the same story, do I just keep looking at random or is there a master plan to find them before February 1st. :yahoo::yahoo:

As you have found teal often fly very early and very late and you have to be very quick to get a shot off.

Things differ for me slightly shooting on the foreshore as the tide will often move a few around a little later on , I am guessing the more water you get on your fields the more likely a few teal will be turning up.

Hi lakeside ...... The marshes where you have been getting the geese are very poor for Mallard , the main problem is the flight pond on the other side of the river where I do the pigeon shooting , it is fed a lot and is only shot three times a year so what Mallard are round there are all in the pond and don't move about much as there got all the food they need without looking for it . .

The Mallard and Teal you shot early in the season were hatched out and brought up close to where you got them so once there gone then that is it , and as they say , you cant kill the same bird twice.

Try looking round any marsh that isn't shot much , you can normally tell by how many foot prints are in the gateways and if there is any water on there check out the edges of the water for any duck feathers .

Most of the fowlers are helpful but you cant expect them to tell you where the best places are , and if they do they are most properly telling you a pack of lies :lol:

Thanks J, I need to do a bit of prospecting, I will get out this week and look around a bit more, after all I cant just keep on bashing pinks, I don't want to make them shy away from the usual feeding places. anyway with the limit bag it makes for very short days out, especially when I'm used to 5 or 6 hour pigeon sessions, hope to see you out soon, regards A :lol::lol:

I do know that ducks will split wintering grounds between sexes. Females predominant on some and males in others. of the 4 wigeon and 3 teal I had on Sunday, there was only one cock (wigeon).

I thought you had a cock teal ? I had a cock wigeon .

I dressed those pinks tonight there was only one pellet in the breast between the two of them , so better than I was expecting.

No, all hens.

Sunday's pink was breasted, as well as the head and neck wounds, there were three entries through the right breast.

Friday's was plucked for Christmas, two neck entries and one head.

Prepped a total of 2 pinks, 4 wigeon, 3 teal, 1 Golden Plover and 9 pheasants today. That was plucking hard work.

I thought you had a cock teal ? I had a cock wigeon .

I dressed those pinks tonight there was only one pellet in the breast between the two of them , so better than I was expecting.

Edited by Penelope