Installing cabinet in rented property.

Pyropredator

I would like to get peoples experiences with how they have dealt with installing a cabinet in rented properties.

Currently trying to fly the nest so to speak and I don’t get the impression it's something I want to be mentioning when going for viewings with the letting agents? But if not when, as many letting agents control all communication between the tenant and the landlord?

Obviously I would be looking to repair the holes left by the cabinet when I leave and cover any sign of it being there but how have people fared with this in the past? Has it been absolutely fine no problems or is it something I need to be asking about early on?

Two ways of going about it :

1. Don't tell them. Don't even mention it. Install the cabinet, ensure you make good when you move out.

2. Discuss it with the agent / landlord. Open yourself to all sorts of potential grief.

If you are a responsible person (which you are, as you have SGC/FAC) then I'd go for option 1 every time.

I was renting when I got my SGC. I phoned the estate agent and asked if I could install a safe that needed bolted to the wall and they said as long as you fill the holes in when you leave it's fine. Check your contract though as some may not allow shotguns/firearms to be stored in the property.

I rent and I just installed mine.

Ever had it come up in inspections or when the landlord has come round?

As long as there is nothing writen in your contract/aggrement you dont have to declare owt .

Option 1 matey .

I would feel a bit cheeky just going ahead and installing the cabinet without talking to the landlord first but I can also see how that could be shooting myself in the foot if I do.

Ever had it come up in inspections or when the landlord has come round?

Never had anyone inspect any property I`ve lived at. I think in the 4 or so years I`ve lived at my current address the LL has been inside once and that was to measure something up. If a LL told me he wanted to do some random inspection I`d tell them to get lost. Whilst he owns the property I live in it and only people I invite get through the door. Obviously if work needs doing on the property I`ll allow tradesmen in but again it`s at my convenience.

I actually get on well with my LL and he is now aware that I have guns and a cabinet. He`s never said anything about it.

Ill be applying for my FAC after Christmas and i had the conversation with my landlady about 6 months ago to test the water as i was starting to goto my club

I just rang her up and said i gave a bit of a unusual question, told her i had just started rifle shooting and all going well further down the line i was intending to apply for a cert and would she be ok with me installing a safe if im granted a cert.

She was totally fine with it and explained she has a few family and friends who shoot and doesnt mind at all, which suprised me to be honest.

I would say if its an **** letting agent i wouldnt mention it as all letting agents are *****, if its a private landlord, just talk to them

Two ways of going about it :

1. Don't tell them. Don't even mention it. Install the cabinet, ensure you make good when you move out.

2. Discuss it with the agent / landlord. Open yourself to all sorts of potential grief.

If you are a responsible person (which you are, as you have SGC/FAC) then I'd go for option 1 every time.

i have rented for twenty years and never had a problem with option one at all , just make good afterwards, i have had loads of inspections and people just ask what it is and i say and then i say i will make good afterwards and no one has ever minded

Ill be applying for my FAC after Christmas and i had the conversation with my landlady about 6 months ago to test the water as i was starting to goto my club

I just rang her up and said i gave a bit of a unusual question, told her i had just started rifle shooting and all going well further down the line i was intending to apply for a cert and would she be ok with me installing a safe if im granted a cert.

She was totally fine with it and explained she has a few family and friends who shoot and doesnt mind at all, which suprised me to be honest.

I would say if its an **** letting agent i wouldnt mention it as all letting agents are *****, if its a private landlord, just talk to them

I think this is realistically how I will go about it, no point telling the letting agent as I cant say they will pass the request on correctly, before you know it, it will no doubt be: he wants to know if can store a tank in the garage or some rubbish.

One would assume that its no different than fixing some shelving or a tv to the wall. As long as all holes are filled before you go wheres the harm. Its not like you're trying to store depleted uranium in the pantry.

This is a really good point actually it is inherently no different that sticking some shelves up.

i remember reading in a shooting mag that somone was producing a guide for tennents/landlords on having guns in the property, would imagine on BASC or CA website possibly?

Were saying not really fair for a landlord to stop u putting a cabinet up wotever their views on shooting as it is stopping u going about ur legal business.

Think i would just stick 1 up without asking (or ask for a safe) and the chances of them seeing it on a routine inspection are probably small. If the house is relatively tidy and in good repair no one is going to bother checking cupboards

Edited by scotslad

Never had anyone inspect any property I`ve lived at. I think in the 4 or so years I`ve lived at my current address the LL has been inside once and that was to measure something up. If a LL told me he wanted to do some random inspection I`d tell them to get lost. Whilst he owns the property I live in it and only people I invite get through the door. Obviously if work needs doing on the property I`ll allow tradesmen in but again it`s at my convenience.

I actually get on well with my LL and he is now aware that I have guns and a cabinet. He`s never said anything about it.

Completely off topic but DM a LL has every right to enter his property for inspection or otherwise, and u can't stop him.

Normally u would arrange it to suit ur tennents as no one wants to upset decent tennents, but if they refused or never answered the phone u can send a written note given atleast 24hrs notice and u can enter then wether tennents are there or not