easily distracted

spurs.thfc

Hi all, I have a 2 and a half year old red fox lab, from field trial stock. (still has his nuts!)

He is well behaved and is eager to learn and work. He knows all the basic hand and whistle commands and is coming on nicely. The trouble is he is easily distracted by other dogs and scents around the field. It can be so bad at times he will not come back before running to the nearest tree or bush to pee first, he does however always come back!! Other times his concentration is second to none and the other dogs or smells dont bother him.

I just wondered if anyone has any tips on how to make him more steady and to make life easier and more enjoyable for us both.

My goal is to get him to work for me without loosing concentration mid way through.

I was told by a trainer at a show that they had a similar issue and used a electronic collar to correct the dog from afar but im unsure about using this method.

Thanks in advance

You can get a vibro collar which just vibrates and peeps not shocks. This just distracts them from what they are concentrating on. I had one for my setter as he was more interested in sniffing and peeing than recall.

You need to do some training at home first at close quartets so he understands the vibrate means recall.

Once Logan had got the idea at home I took him out. I only used the vibrate if he ignored the recall whistle. He soon realised if he came back to me the vibration stopped.

Without wishing to offend, Sounds more like a lack of basic training and you're looking for an easy fix.

He's doing what he wants not what you want him to,

Go back to basics, He needs loads of heel work and stop training.

I know because I'm doing the same with my young dog.

I trusted him too much and he started to please himself, entirely my fault.

Iv been working very hard to address the issue since the incidents and he's improving.

Just my opinion and like I said I don't mean any offence.

Atb Dave

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Remote-Dog-Training-Collar-Vibrating-Sound-Bark-Stop-/260912789912?hash=item3cbf9d3998:g:KjMAAMXQDrJR1484

This is the type I bought.

The only problem I have had with it is if you don't use it for a while and then need to do a reminder session the remote stops talking to the collar unit.

You just need to use the setup instructions again to re calibrate the remote to the collar unit.

Without wishing to offend, Sounds more like a lack of basic training and you're looking for an easy fix.

He's doing what he wants not what you want him to,

Go back to basics, He needs loads of heel work and stop training.

I know because I'm doing the same with my young dog.

I trusted him too much and he started to please himself, entirely my fault.

Iv been working very hard to address the issue since the incidents and he's improving.

Just my opinion and like I said I don't mean any offence.

Atb Dave

True. When I inherited Logan he was four years old and I had a lot of retraining to do. This unit was used after after a year of not getting a good recall. It worked for us.