stubbles pigeons and general licence

chris crow

I have been trying to find the basc directive on how shooting pigeons over stubbles is worded.

a friend of mine says you can only shoot pigeons on stubbles to protect a crop grown at the side of it??.

but I was thinking it was more like shooting over stubbles is protecting future crops as there is no other affective way :unhappy: .

help

Show me a copper that understands the law relating to this,

ok you might get some anti phoning the Police and telling them about the general licence and that someone is breaking the law relating to this licence,

but if the Police do turn up I think all they will ask you is, do you have permission and can I see your SGC.
Does anyone know of a shooter that as been prosecuted for breaking this grey area rule?

Some consider stubble shooting and roost shooting as a "pre-emptive strike".

I certainly do.

Proving it to the local Magistrates could just be a problem though. Trust me when I say the RSPB make much of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, Sec1 where it states "It is an offence to kill ANY wild bird " before it goes into the terms of the General Licence. If they can, then it is open for other such groups to follow suit. Of course if crop damage is occuring nearby and shooting on the stubble is to avoid any further crop damage by yourself.........................then ?

Out beating today I was talking to a retired keeper, says he's been told that Leicestershire police have been told to arrest anybody shooting Pigeons over stubble! Urban myth? any of the Leicestershire lads on here heard anything?

I am not sure where they get the power of arrest from though ?

I think a lot of shooters would be up in court if shooting over stubble was to fall outside of the scope of the general licence. As many have said pigeons are an agricultural pest and cause millions of pounds of damage. Shooting over stubble is probably one of the best ways of preventing crop damage...especially the damage caused by shooting over standing crops and trying to recover the birds. In fact there are a number of guys on here who will not shoot over standing crops for this reason. In essence ...crack on.

Before there was much Oil Seed Rape grown, and we had cold winters, it was concluded that the only way for shooting to protect a particular crop was to shoot over it when it was being attacked, as generally reducing pigeon numbers was a waste of time because large numbers would die in winter anyway. Now that OSR has come along and the a cold winter is no longer a death sentence, more pigeons survive our recent mild winters, though perhaps it is a case of slow starvation until the Spring arrives. A bit like keeping cattle alive during winter with poor quality forage alone.

Edited by rjimmer