Deer poaching

kennett

Just a bit of heads up to anybody with any shooting around the Newmarket area. We saw a heard of fallow on the farm yesterday with a straggler that couldn't keep up, on closer observation it was wounded and was despatched on welfare grounds. We skinned it and it was obvious the wounds were from a shotgun.

Shotguns aren't as quiet as crossbows.

Unless you have Tourette's. Shooting at deer with shotguns, air rifles and rimfires is something that will unfortunately happen, most but not all will have the self discipline not to shoot at a deer that quietly walks out in front of their hidden shooting position. Last year a mate found a lovely big fallow buck dead on his pheasant shoot, no sign of disease and in good condition but no evidence of cause of death until he found a small hole in its side, probably a .17hmr, it had killed the deer but how long it had taken to die who knows. I have found shotgun pellets just below the skin of munties on more than one occasion. Yes its breaking the law but this is more opportunist than poaching though, unless of course the person has no permission to be on the land at all. The worse case of this around my way is the deer being taken at night by those out after a fox or two, a couple of years back the owner of one of my permissions let a couple of scaffolders working on his house have a go at the fox's as they had been keeping on about it. A neighbour saw the chaps walking back to their sign written truck dragging a fallow doe. This got back to the farmer and he told the chaps not to come anymore but they couldn't resist one last visit, they managed to get their truck bogged down to the axles one night and asked the farmer if he could drag em out, he obliged but made em wait two days. Were the police involved, of course not, the farmer didn't really see it as much of a big deal, and these things need to be handled carefully and not upset or be a nuisance to the landowner and loose your own rights. As is often the case the person who is going to get most upset is you, the one with legal permission.

Unless you have Tourette's. Shooting at deer with shotguns, air rifles and rimfires is something that will unfortunately happen, most but not all will have the self discipline not to shoot at a deer that quietly walks out in front of their hidden shooting position. Last year a mate found a lovely big fallow buck dead on his pheasant shoot, no sign of disease and in good condition but no evidence of cause of death until he found a small hole in its side, probably a .17hmr, it had killed the deer but how long it had taken to die who knows. I have found shotgun pellets just below the skin of munties on more than one occasion. Yes its breaking the law but this is more opportunist than poaching though, unless of course the person has no permission to be on the land at all. The worse case of this around my way is the deer being taken at night by those out after a fox or two, a couple of years back the owner of one of my permissions let a couple of scaffolders working on his house have a go at the fox's as they had been keeping on about it. A neighbour saw the chaps walking back to their sign written truck dragging a fallow doe. This got back to the farmer and he told the chaps not to come anymore but they couldn't resist one last visit, they managed to get their truck bogged down to the axles one night and asked the farmer if he could drag em out, he obliged but made em wait two days. Were the police involved, of course not, the farmer didn't really see it as much of a big deal, and these things need to be handled carefully and not upset or be a nuisance to the landowner and loose your own rights. As is often the case the person who is going to get most upset is you, the one with legal permission.

Good post.

On some land where we shoot the landowner has a caravan site, and one of the caravans is owned by a couple of blokes from the Wigan area. They are shooting blokes with terriers, and had been given permission to snare or shoot the odd rabbit and nothing more.

From the land on which their caravan is sited they have access to an old abandoned railway which cuts through many adjoining farms, none of which they have permission to shoot on but a lamp had been spotted in the early hours shining from the railway onto adjoining land.

We had a spot of poaching going on, finding an out of season roe which had been quartered and left in plain view on the tracks and a gut shot roe ( small calibre wound ) in one wood which was still warm when we found it less than 100 yards from the railway, plus other incidents.

Nothing has ever been proved but as a result the landowner withdrew his permission and the poaching stopped, as did their visits and with it their revenue, and as a result of this the landowner has again given them permission to trap rabbits only, but already a neighbour reckons his birds are being poached. Coincidence? We'll see.

Because the landowners son is shoot captain, he stalks them and friends of the next door keeper have already been caught hare poaching in the past

Thats sorted that tben, Poirot has sussed out Its the landowners son and his mate's, they poach hare's as well. Quick hang them before anyone proves otherwise.

Hang on smart ****, someone suggested the farmer had shot them. I suggested he hadn't, because he and his son are both stalkers, and stalk over this land. I also suggested that both the old keeper of my shoot, and the landowner have had run-ins with people related to the shoot next door, all related to poaching, of hare and gamebirds, so at the moment they are prime suspects. However as it hasn't been proved, I was trying to help out people with shooting in the area, and let them know that nefarious types are about

Edited by kennett

I think that most stalkers will have found shot gun pellets at Some time or another in deer when dressing out , I have . The .22 rimfire is quite capable of killing deer in the right hands . A notorious local poacher used to shoot many a deer with a silenced .22 rimfire ,and he was a very good shot winning many small bore rifle comps . Fortunately he was caught red handed poaching deer and lost his ticket . He was caught by two keepers from adjoining estates who were fed up with him poaching on their beats . The story goes that when he was caught he was handled rather robustly by the keepers and had to have hospital treatment . It was said that he had a fall when trying to run from the keepers .

Harnser

I think that most stalkers will have found shot gun pellets at Some time or another in deer when dressing out , I have . The .22 rimfire is quite capable of killing deer in the right hands . A notorious local poacher used to shoot many a deer with a silenced .22 rimfire ,and he was a very good shot winning many small bore rifle comps . Fortunately he was caught red handed poaching deer and lost his ticket . He was caught by two keepers from adjoining estates who were fed up with him poaching on their beats . The story goes that when he was caught he was handled rather robustly by the keepers and had to have hospital treatment . It was said that he had a fall when trying to run from the keepers .

Harnser

Lol.

Had a deer with a 22 mushroomed in its neck, a fallow buck. Not had any with shot in them.

My last one had a smashed rear quarter from a CF rifle and ironically my wmr rimfire despatched it!

So, it is time for common sense to prevail.

Allow archery equipment to be used(again) and allow the industry lead education programme on hunting takle flourish.

I've found air rifle pellets in them, so it came as no surprise to hear of a quickly retracted post on one of the air rifle Facebook pages of some **** posing with two dead fallow does (out of season) and his FAC bullpup air rifle.

Poaching deer at night is commonplace here. Seemingly a 'sport' growing in popularity. Of course, if you didn't get over £2 per kilo then perhaps it would not be quite so tempting to break the law?