BASC Pigeon shooting service

CharlieT

I note BASC has an advert in this months Farmer and Grower magazine.

The gist of the advert is to persuade farmers to use BASC as their first port of call when seeking someone to control their pigeon problems.

It goes on to say "We are aware that on many farms pest control is not carried out as well as some farmers would like. Shooters not turning up when needed, shooters sending their friends to shoot when they are unavailable, uncertainty about third party insurance and leaving decoys and litter have been identified as areas where improvements can be made"

The final paragraph of the advert reads:

"The NFU and BASC believe that by setting up pest control groups, coordinated by a single point of contact, better pest control can be achieved and farmers will benefit. BASC service is free: all our members are fully insured"

Will this bring an end to the days of individual shooters having their own "permission" , will you now have to book with BASC to get a days shooting on "your" farm or will it be a benefit, particularly for newbies and those who don't have, or seem to be able to get, their own "permission".

Your thoughts, please gentlemen............discuss.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not keen on this at all. It's no secret I'm no fan of BASC but I would be equally unkeen on any organisation doing it either.

For any organisation to try and create an exclusive club where it's members only, can have access to land to shoot over stinks, in my opinion. Thankfully it wont affect me or my mates.

A few of points of fact.

BASC are not charging farmers for this

Farmers are not paying BASC for this

If you are providing your farmers with a good service you have nothing at all to be bothered about

The project had been developed WITH the NFU based on feedback from their members, similar projects are on the go in Wales, NI and Scotland

BASC will continue to try and secure shooting opportunities for its members , its one of out objectives for goodness sake...we have been running members only stalking schemes for decades, it works well and is popular with our members,so we will work with farmers and other landowners to open up more opportunities for our members.

David

A few of points of fact.

If you are providing your farmers with a good service you have nothing at all to be bothered about

The project had been developed WITH the NFU based on feedback from their members, similar projects are on the go in Wales, NI and Scotland

BASC will continue to try and secure shooting opportunities for its members , its one of out objectives for goodness sake...we have been running members only stalking schemes for decades, it works well and is popular with our members,so we will work with farmers and other landowners to open up more opportunities for our members.

David

As a shooter with limited land to shoot on, I welcome something like this. There are a lot of other orgainsations offering this around the country, some better than others. Hopefully NFU and BASC will offer a service that works for shooters and farmers.

As a shooter with limited land to shoot on, I welcome something like this. There are a lot of other orgainsations offering this around the country, some better than others. Hopefully NFU and BASC will offer a service that works for shooters and farmers.

Which other organisations are offering this?

A few of points of fact.

David

I get it you pay £££ to join BASC and you get free shooting with the other 1000's of members :hmm:

on another level , if i owned a farm and had trouble with birds.A BASC member came along and shot my land and left all his empties and 50 breasted pigeons in the hedge row , would he be removed from offers in future ??

If it is monitored, I would hope that once a shooter is allocated to an area, the landowner would take your basc number and if found unsuitable then that number could be blocked from that particular place in future with probably a 3 strikes and you're off the register for a period of time coming into play?

Which other organisations are offering this?

Id assume he means things like NPPC etc?

Although I am a FAC and SGC holder, I also have very limited places to shoot and if I could get some more shooting in because of a scheme like this then I also would welcome it. I value my shooting time and consider it a privilege to be able to shoot on other grounds so much so that I would take the utmost care not to upset the applecart and I guess there are many others out there with the same attitude.

Now then... where do I sign!!! :whistling:

Edited to remove rubbish my text duplicating fat fingers decided to put in there!

Edited by ghosthunter

I can see where BASC is coming from in this respect and I confess that if I was involved at BASC it is something that I would promote.

I appreciate that being a member of a shooting organisation confers nothing other than being able to pay the membership fee and perhaps a small sense of responsibility, but at face value a scheme provided by BASC offers a comfort factor beyond just a casual shooter in a field.

BASC is all about promoting professionalism, responsibility and maturity in the shooting community, the approach that they take in lobbying government also screams that message loud and clear. The mandatory BASC insurance within wild fowling says the same thing too.

I think that if a shooter has a good relationship with a farmer then the BASC scheme offers little to the farmer, but for those farmers who maybe don't have such a reliable service or they are worried for other reasons then maybe this is something they will at look at favourably. If the scheme is also promoted by the NFU then that would suggest that there is definitely a need. Better the farmer goes for the scheme via BASC than someone who is seeking to be commercially exploitative by charging shooters for days on pigeons/corvids.

There are obviously a number of other things to be considered such as the conduct of the shooter put forward by BASC so will be interesting to know if there is any sort of code of conduct or best practice or other qualifying measure, i.e. must have attended a BASC introduction to pigeon shooting course or similar.

I can see where BASC is coming from in this respect and I confess that if I was involved at BASC it is something that I would promote.

I think that if a shooter has a good relationship with a farmer then the BASC scheme offers little to the farmer, but for those farmers who maybe don't have such a reliable service or they are worried for other reasons then maybe this is something they will at look at favourably. If the scheme is also promoted by the NFU then that would suggest that there is definitely a need. Better the farmer goes for the scheme via BASC than someone who is seeking to be commercially exploitative by charging shooters for days on pigeons/corvids.

I should point out that the advert was in the NFU Farmer and Grower Magazine, advertising the scheme to me and other farmers. I can only presume that BASC paid for the advert. I'm not sure how far the NFU are involved in promoting the scheme, I've certainly not been approached by the NFU.

I should point out that the advert was in the NFU Farmer and Grower Magazine, advertising the scheme to me and other farmers. I can only presume that BASC paid for the advert. I'm not sure how far the NFU are involved in promoting the scheme, I've certainly not been approached by the NFU.

I am going on David's comments in his post that they developed this together.

Why don't you give your NFU rep a call or drop them an email, might be an interesting insight. I don't know anybody in the NFU otherwise I would just out of curiosity.

I suspect that as with most things like this there will have been a limited consultation based on initial feedback to the NFU, it may not have been particularly specific.

People have probably shot themselves in the foot by not providing the service that growers want. Too many situations where pestsare allowed carry on destroying crops while the shooter is 'waiting for numbers to build up so we can have a good day'.

Not at all, how many shooters do you know who have been given their marching orders. I rather think it is something BASC have dreamed up as bonus for their members.

The bit I disagree with is the wording of BASC's advert where they state............"We are aware that on many farms pest control is not carried out as well as some farmers would like".........this sort of wording is disingenuous to shooters and designed to cause doubt in farmers minds regarding their current pest controller and thus encourage them to go with BASC.