BASC Pigeon shooting service

CharlieT

I spend a huge amount of time watching all my permissions looking for opportunities. When one does arise the last thing you want is half the county jumping in on it. This will appeal to newish inexperienced shooters who are grateful just to have somewhere to go and make some noise but it wont do much for real pest control.

I couldn't agree more.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer the question on page 2 - the NFU do not make any money out of this, BASC's income is from its membership and one of our objectives to to help members secure shooting.

As i have kept on saying, if the incumbent shooter(s) are on top of the pest and pigoens, then all is well. How may on here have lost their shooting when they have been doing a god job for their farmer? Not many i bet.

So where is the real problem...

To answer the question on page 2 - the NFU do not make any money out of this, BASC's income is from its membership and one of our objectives to to help members secure shooting.

As i have kept on saying, if the incumbent shooter(s) are on top of the pest and pigoens, then all is well. How may on here have lost their shooting when they have been doing a god job for their farmer? Not many i bet.

So where is the real problem...

No problem from me as if the farmers need help then its an easy way for them to get someone onto the ground.

I would ask again what vetting BASC are going to do with a member before he/she gets onto the scheme to make sure they are suitable to do a better job than those that have maybe failed the landowner in the past?Is the criteria just going to be a BASC membership and if so that could be a very poor plan??

No problem from me as if the farmers need help then its an easy way for them to get someone onto the ground.

I would ask again what vetting BASC are going to do with a member before he/she gets onto the scheme to make sure they are suitable to do a better job than those that have maybe failed the landowner in the past?Is the criteria just going to be a BASC membership and if so that could be a very poor plan??

the only vetting been done is basc membership which mean jack

none of course..but at least the guns are insured......no landowner would let anyone on without meeting them/seeing them/talking boundaries etc........as for your ''statistics'' comment....£50 to charity if 20 landowners have'nt heard of BASC.........

none of course..but at least the guns are insured......no landowner would let anyone on without meeting them/seeing them/talking boundaries etc........as for your ''statistics'' comment....£50 to charity if 20 landowners have'nt heard of BASC.........

I will save you your money as i know i could do 20 farms tomorrow that havent heard of BASC.We must be living on different planets if the majority down your way do.

None of course,but at least they are insured? Is that the vetting you are referring to? If so imo thats pretty poor as they might just be filling the space with someone thats not up to the task which i thought was the main aim.

Again, I could take you round dozens of farms up here that wouldn't have a scooby who BASC were and would probably confuse them with a BACS, also of all the shoots I've been on (a few)not one asks about BASC insurance they ask if your insured if they ask at all.

My experience locally is that farmers are less concerned about people being BASC members or having BASC involved in pigeon control and more concerned about having people that they know and trust on their land. Whilst the principle may be sound for BASC pigeon control teams supplied to farms, I'm not so sure that farmers would blindly accept it as they're not daft and realise that anyone can become a member so that doesn't say anything about their suitability. Farmers that I know on the whole wont take chances with armed strangers on their land as they know the risks and are more aware about legislation.

advertised over many years at hundreds of pounds never had one phone call not one. did speak to one farmer told him that he will loose a 1/3 of his rape crop over the next few days or weeks, he said that's o k ,I will get secondry growth, I rest my case.? saw him a few times later ,out with the gas bangers must have had second thoughts gas bangers don't kill pigeons .fickle lot they can be. never mind.

To answer the questions further about how its all works. When a farmer gets in touch, the local BASC regional / Country officer goes to visit them. This is to establish exactly what the issues are, and to advise the famer on how the club will be structured and how its will work. The BASC officer then gets in touch with individual members in the area to set up a new club or if there is one contacts and existing a local BASC club to discuss taking over the pest control on the farmland.

We then arrange a meeting with the BASC officer, the famer and the new club secretary to go over the lase / shooting agreement , points of access, boundaries etc.

I do find it strange that some on here think its a bad idea for the UK's largest shooting origination to try and help its member find and secure more shooting...

David

It's a great idea, but unfortunately it's difficult to find club secretaries, and this tends to find townie plonkers with no knowledge of countryside matters, running clubs.

Unfortunately, obtaining shooting usually means treading on somebody's toes.

Edited by rjimmer

If you join the Dorset Wildfowlers club, you have the option of paying a small amount to be on the list of people willing to do pest control. You also have to pay £60(I think) a year toward a fund to buy land, something that, at my age, I would probably never live to benefit from.

it's basically shooters don't want to share their permissions.

we all encourage others on forums etc to start shooting and get out there and find places to shoot as long as it's not where we shoot.

this scheme has some benefits and some drawbacks.

depends on personal views I think as always

To answer the questions further about how its all works. When a farmer gets in touch, the local BASC regional / Country officer goes to visit them. This is to establish exactly what the issues are, and to advise the famer on how the club will be structured and how its will work. The BASC officer then gets in touch with individual members in the area to set up a new club or if there is one contacts and existing a local BASC club to discuss taking over the pest control on the farmland.

We then arrange a meeting with the BASC officer, the famer and the new club secretary to go over the lase / shooting agreement , points of access, boundaries etc.

I do find it strange that some on here think its a bad idea for the UK's largest shooting origination to try and help its member find and secure more shooting...

David

What a load of waffle and hot air David!!

A farmer wants pests dealt with period.....he is not interested in meeting after meeting after meeting to establish "his needs"......he wants someone to turn up, know what they're doing and shoot......Many farmers haven't the time for a cup of coffee let alone 3 meetings and an hours chat at each!!

David

As an ex BASC member from years ago I feel that as long as it does not step on anyone's toes it is fine.

If it causes established shooters to lose their permissions then it is wrong.

A farmer wants pests dealt with period.....he is not interested in meeting after meeting after meeting to establish "his needs"......he wants someone to turn up, know what they're doing and shoot......Many farmers haven't the time for a cup of coffee let alone 3 meetings and an hours chat at each!!

Don't forget the Health and Safety risk assessments.