Change in the weather brings a few birds to this area.

JDog

The wind chill this morning at the top of the Wolds was in very low single figures.

Driving to work I saw two large flocks of pigeons, one on a field where the potatoes had been lifted last week, the other on rape. I have driven this route virtually every day for the last month and I have never seen those birds before.

I believe that these birds are migrants from Scandinavia and/or refugees from the deluge the North of England has had in the past ten days or so.

This years migration has been very different to past years,starting on 26 October a few groups of 20-70 passed through and then went quiet for a while.

They have been passing the last week or more in bigger numbers,Wednesday there were tens of thousands mainly very low passing in groups of 50-70 with much larger numbers high up.

Thursday virtually nothing and again today tens of thousands,first flocks very high in their thousands and then later getting lower in groups of 20-300.

This year has been later and longer and I also noticed birds flying all day up to 3.30pm on some days,which is very unusual and probably due to the poor weather we have experienced over the last few weeks.

Hi Jdog,I started watching wind direction over Scandinavia in October and around the 13 the wind was perfect for migration and so I waited to see if any members reported big numbers on their ground,they didn't.

The winds then seemed to be unfavourable towards the end of October and start of November yet they seemed to arrive but in small groups,with still no reports of big flocks as last year.

Then recently some reports of big numbers suddenly appearing and a few days later I have seen the big numbers coming through.

I also noted that even though thousands came through early this week,the local bird watchers failed to report on their forum which shows what can go by unnoticed.

I think the weather has definitely changed the normal pattern this year for sure and it will be good to here off other members if they have seen the flocks moving overhead.

Looked out today to see huge numbers passing through again from first light,dying off around 11am.

Groups ranging from 10-300 with a good few of maybe 2000 or more.

This year has definitely brought larger numbers than previous years i have witnessed,truly fantastic viewing against a clear blue sky.

Looked out today to see huge numbers passing through again from first light,dying off around 11am.

Groups ranging from 10-300 with a good few of maybe 2000 or more.

This year has definitely brought larger numbers than previous years i have witnessed,truly fantastic viewing against a clear blue sky.

How many do you estimate passed over the Bristol Channel this week?

There were 102,800 reported by local bird watchers on 12 November,since then there have been much bigger numbers on certain days and today was probably the third most I have seen(bigger numbers in the first few hours but tailing off by 11).

Groups are variying in height but mostly lower than previous years,had some landing in my garden trees!

Numbers so far are truly huge and I'm presuming the weather has pushed more this route this year,just couldn't even guess a figure but I'll post numbers if they are reported on bird watchers forum.

I wish we could know if today's birds are flighting on the tail winds from Scandinavia straight through or could they have been here over a time?(winds favourable for any birds that haven't already made a move).

I believe that once numbers have slowed down that we will once again be seeing a lack of large flocks,just an opinion.

We have had lower than normal counts in our area until the change in weather this week. I was beating on our syndicate shoot today and watched huge numbers flighting to and from a large beech strip we have. (Unfortunately it borders 2 game strips so is out of bounds until Feb) These birds were not in the area a week ago.

Lots of pigeons pushing through in the last four days, I would estimate seeing 50 thousand last Thursday morning down here in Devon heading s/w. Reports of numbers building in North Devon on the acorns as well, this mild weather has made the yearly migration/movement or what ever you want to call it later this year by two weeks than when I would normally see this happening.

Question :

Where do they all come from and where do they all go to ?????

Every year for the past 10 years I've taken an interest in this yearly movement of pigeons coming down the South Devon coast from the east heading west/South west, they never stay in the area for more than a week or two depending on the acorn/beach mast crop.

have been watching 2 flocks one about 1500 birds shot a few seemed local, found another flock friday about 3000 3/4 mile away shot some in the strong wind saturday, they decoyed very easily only put a rotary out they tried to land on it. some of them were smaller than normal but fully plumed.

Lots of pigeons pushing through in the last four days, I would estimate seeing 50 thousand last Thursday morning down here in Devon heading s/w. Reports of numbers building in North Devon on the acorns as well, this mild weather has made the yearly migration/movement or what ever you want to call it later this year by two weeks than when I would normally see this happening.

Question :

Where do they all come from and where do they all go to ?????

Every year for the past 10 years I've taken an interest in this yearly movement of pigeons coming down the South Devon coast from the east heading west/South west, they never stay in the area for more than a week or two depending on the acorn/beach mast crop.

West/South West means they are going to The Bahamas! Not a bad idea as there are not many pigeons to shoot here!!

have been watching 2 flocks one about 1500 birds shot a few seemed local, found another flock friday about 3000 3/4 mile away shot some in the strong wind saturday, they decoyed very easily only put a rotary out they tried to land on it. some of them were smaller than normal but fully plumed.

Yes, in past years I have suspected that these Scandinavians were a little smaller and darker, the extreme edge of the feathers has a very faint, almost golden tint.

Anyone else noticed??

Not see any yet this year.

Yes, in past years I have suspected that these Scandinavians were a little smaller and darker, the extreme edge of the feathers has a very faint, almost golden tint.

Anyone else noticed??

Not see any yet this year.

yes i have noticed it, thought it was a bit like our birds on the last stage of full plumage, at the weekend i had some small birds fully plumed and some small with the tint and thought they were our youngsters and had some normal birds, i wonder if the tint could be a male/female thing. easier to decoy too came straight in to the rotary, shot 60 in the last 2 weeks and the best commited birds i have seen all year, as i said previously i had stopped using the rotary completly.