Help with choice of 20b sxs

Gin steady shooter

Button - thanks for the reference I will looking I this.

Dougall- my first thoughts were around British gun. However I'm not well versed on what to look out for with older guns so couldn't really tell if they held problems or not. Hence looking at new or near new guns.

I also read that some English guns need to be upward of my budget to ensure a good condition example is bought.

My location is Edinburgh so only a had full of rfd within 60 miles or so; their stock is limited so it would be a case of paying rfd carridge costs to view many British model from English rfds.

But yes I see your point about investment and values over time. Just not confident that I won't end up with something that will cost a heep to repair / get to a good condition.

Sleeved barrels or example- I couldn't tell a good job from bad.

Started out looking for something from the Scottish maker as I'm from northern Scotland . Really like round actions or round bar actions But John Dickson , David Mackay etc are either all way out of my budget for second hand, or a few examples but with sleeved barrels.

On day I hope to afford a john Dickson round action - but that's just dreaming at present.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With that kind of budget you would be mad not to buy an English gun-there are loads of articles and dealers that would give you sound advice on what to look for-something made between 1890 and 1930 would be a good starting point-sidelock, obviously, and London built to boot should find you a gem that will be a great investment as well as a piece of living history-these guns were built by the finest makers the world has ever known and are over engineered to a ridiculous standard-spares, other than basic parts, are rarely going to be needed and the feeling of handling a piece that may well have been used a hundred years ago by a titled gentleman is something that a Spanish gun will never come close to giving you-don't be in a hurry-spend wisely.

I would hate half the value of a gun I just bought to be wiped off, you can't tell me you would be happy with that??

I see what you are saying, would happily take a new arietta with 50% off though.

I am a massive fan of Spanish side by sides but the truth is they are heavily marked up now, they are in danger of doing to themselves what they did to the English trade if the prices continue to rise.

AYA number 4, now c.£3k, is just silly and when you then look at the arietta it looks good value especially with 50% off

Yes I agree if you buy it discounted rate fantastic it just one of those typical things in life generally after you pay full price for it, I bought my lad one of the board an junior race bikes from halfords for £300 , 4 months later it's discounted to £220 I was well chuffed lol, it dies name you wonder though how they can knock 50% off something, I appreciate electrical items like tellys and hi-fi as new models are always coming out and technology moves on I guess, but man would I be miffed if I'd just parted with £7000 to find it at £3500 a wee while later as that means your second hand price is around £2500, this is probably the reason you see people asking unrealistic prices for things when compared to new

With that kind of budget you would be mad not to buy an English gun-there are loads of articles and dealers that would give you sound advice on what to look for-something made between 1890 and 1930 would be a good starting point-sidelock, obviously, and London built to boot should find you a gem that will be a great investment as well as a piece of living history-these guns were built by the finest makers the world has ever known and are over engineered to a ridiculous standard-spares, other than basic parts, are rarely going to be needed and the feeling of handling a piece that may well have been used a hundred years ago by a titled gentleman is something that a Spanish gun will never come close to giving you-don't be in a hurry-spend wisely.

I've had a look at what is available and most of this stuff is either shorter chambered and boxlock non ejector. most of these were Birmingham trade guns and sold by local gunsmiths. For some reason none of this old English stuff seems to appeal visually to me and a lot of it has seen better days with blued up screw heads which I don't like, But that's just me. Even today a lot of what sells by English names is made in Spain and finished off here just like the old Birmingham made guns were sold by local ironmongers and gunsmiths. I looked at the Powell Marquis which secondhand is more than a new gun by AyA or Arietta and that's not the 50% discount model. I don't even like the look of the finish, it looks cheap like baco foil. If that Arietta is available at that price I' be off down to have a look at it even though I'd probably prefer the AyA. At the end of the day it is a set of tubes and you have got to be able to shoot with it and love having it in your hands and how you feel about it. And that is only down to your preference. I would definitely want to shoot it before I bought it.

Here you go a numbered pair. They look a give away bargain. The only thing is that they aren't round bodied but they are nice.

https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Arrieta_Shotgun_587--Victoria_For-Sale_140922185410001

PS the McAvoy discount ones look to have sold out.

Edited by fortune

If your happy with 26" and could be tempted to drop to 25" I know where there are three consecutive numbered AYA 25 sidelocks numbered 1,2&3 that are little used if at all, a customer of mine in Suffolk who I have just sold a forklift truck to was speaking to me about them as they were his fathers, pm me if your interested and I will pass his number to you as he was asking me the best place to sell them, you would get all of them well within your budget

If your happy with 26" and could be tempted to drop to 25" I know where there are three consecutive numbered AYA 25 sidelocks numbered 1,2&3 that are little used if at all, a customer of mine in Suffolk who I have just sold a forklift truck to was speaking to me about them as they were his fathers, pm me if your interested and I will pass his number to you as he was asking me the best place to sell them, you would get all of them well within your budget

Jeez that was some serious driven shooting that was planned or a triple belt and braces plan. The problem that I see here is that you really want to hold and shoot the gun to see how it matches to the shooter in many different ways and there is this stuff out there but it's a way to travel and then decide that you don't like something about the gun either to return empty handed or buying something because you feel bad about saying no thanks and end up buying something that you don't really enjoy having and using. When I started looking for a 28 a friend had a silver pigeon in 28. He said I could have a go with it. As soon as I picked it up I declined the offer because it was heavier than my s686s and it felt like an out of balance fence post.

Have to say I would much rather have one single decent English sidelock that 3 AYA XXV's. With AYA much depends on when they were made, and the very best quality AYA comes nowhere near the best quality English products.

Nor near the price !!!!! Or the repair bills, but I agree there is something about a true English gun, but there is plenty of room for all Edited by sishyplops

Have to say I would much rather have one single decent English sidelock that 3 AYA XXV's. With AYA much depends on when they were made, and the very best quality AYA comes nowhere near the best quality English products.

While I appreciate what you are saying, for me £5k on a quality spanish gun or £5k on an english gun is a no brainer, spanish every time for the money we are talking

Thanks to all who have responded. I'm quite keen on a 20b aya #2 round action. Looked on gun trader and gun star but they are all Round £5 which seems a lot compared to the non round action aya #2, and noting that Alan said he got his one for around £3k; perhaps I'm better off waiting to find one in the lower price range and save £1-2k?

I do think they look nicer than the Arrieta crown, but it's all relative to how much they cost, fit, Barry length, chocks etc that are offered at time of purchase.

Btw if anyone knows of a good condition aya # 20b round action, please pm me, thanks.

As an aside I have seen a 16b version., although ideally I'm after a 20 b, and Whilst I like the idea of the 28g (and there are more available in this 28g), I think the 16 would be a good alternative to 20g in terms of load capacity etc?

Any thought on 16g; I hear carts can be expensive tho?