Help with choice of 20b sxs

Gin steady shooter

Most AYA no 2 I've seen are very very plain to look at with wood more akin to floorboards than a nice SXS.

If you can find a nice AYA they can be very nice guns. I personally like the model 53 in silver coin finish with gold washed locks.

A fella I worked with had a lovely 20 bore I once had a go with, a Macnab Highlander Teal. Made by decent company iirc

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Button - thanks for the reference I will looking I this.

Dougall- my first thoughts were around British gun. However I'm not well versed on what to look out for with older guns so couldn't really tell if they held problems or not. Hence looking at new or near new guns.

I also read that some English guns need to be upward of my budget to ensure a good condition example is bought.

My location is Edinburgh so only a had full of rfd within 60 miles or so; their stock is limited so it would be a case of paying rfd carridge costs to view many British model from English rfds.

But yes I see your point about investment and values over time. Just not confident that I won't end up with something that will cost a heep to repair / get to a good condition.

Sleeved barrels or example- I couldn't tell a good job from bad.

Started out looking for something from the Scottish maker as I'm from northern Scotland . Really like round actions or round bar actions But John Dickson , David Mackay etc are either all way out of my budget for second hand, or a few examples but with sleeved barrels.

On day I hope to afford a john Dickson round action - but that's just dreaming at present.

1.personally would avoid sleeved barrels however good a job.

2.it is rare that any shotgun needs expensive repairs if looked after

3.Scottish is good shout look out for a Dougall!!!!....

4.nought wrong with 16gauge,not v popular in uk but cracking underrated guns...

5.If you are patient 5k will find you a cracker of a British gun........David Mackay Brown........that is what I shall buy before I die!

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Thanks for the advice ,

Just to update you, today I Bought a 20b Arrieta mod 803, 30" barrels sxs.

Can't figure out how to upload my own photos (file too big) but here's a link to it on gunstar http://www.gunstar.co.uk/arrieta-803-20-bore-gauge-shotgun/Shotguns/774707

Pretty happy with it, condition is near to new, a few light marks, bought in 2011 and used for 4 seasons. apparently these now retail at £12.5k according to GMK. So I think it's pretty good buy for the monies.

Did look at a few aya #2s, but a round action 2nd hand one would set me back the same as this and didn't have as nice wood.

Also was offered an Arrieta crown round action new for £4.3k, but the 803 is a much higher grade for the extra £500.

Going to try it out on some clays next week then at my pheasant shoot on the Saturday. Can't wait.

Thanks button, ideally I would have liked a rounded case hardened action, which the Arrieta crown ticks all these boxes; but the wood and engraving was much nicer on the 803 square action.

It's a 7 pin rebounding action with assisted opening, similar to h&h.

Wood to metal fit is excellent.

If I'm being really picky one of the main pins at the lower front of the action isn't quite flush and could be filled down. But that's super picky and such craftsmanship and attention is probably not within the price point of these Spanish produced guns. It's not a h&h after all!

hello, all this talk on AYAs i wish i bought a few more back when they were introduced to the uk shooters, my yeoman was £38 no 3 was about £60/80, no 4 was about £100/150 or a bit more, i had a 25inch churchill type box lock ejector maybe around £200/250 and i think the number 2s were more. a good investment still.

• 1 year later...