Archie coats

Imperator SKB

Back in 1985 I was given a first edition signed copy of Archie Coats Pigeon Shooting book for Christmas. I read it over and over and it got me into Shooting Pigeons. I was 15 years old at the time and had been shooting since I was 8 with my Father and Uncle. I always wanted a set of Hide poles made to Archies specifications and finally after all these years my Cousin made me a set and they are fantastic and I use them all the time, I did have a set of ally ones but they got broke many years ago!

Love to see some pictures, if you have time.

Very much enjoy re-reading books by Archie, Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey, Gough Thomas and others that I have had since I was a nipper. They knew what they were talking about but I'm not convinced the same can be said for some of those authors who came after them.

I've just bought the same book, but at 36 y.o.! Though I've not read it yet, I'm pretty sure that once I have I'll wish i'd have bought it when i first started shooting 25 years ago.

I think I'm just as excited about receiving it as I would have been then, :)

Edited by jbk

I can't remember what it's called, someone on here will know, but his biography was interesting, think it was by Prue Coats. As JDog says, things have moved on, I wouldn't want to hump solid steel poles very far! but then the great man had an old land rover, and after his hip operation a wife who helped him get set up.

I met Archie at the CLA when it visited Floors castle Kelso in the late 80s .

Proper gent who had a queue longer than the beer tent waiting to ask him a question .

I also met him at one of the C L A Game Fairs on the Eley cartridge stand which no doubt sponsored him , at the time he had put on a lot of weight due to his hip problems , and when he spoke you could tell he was a Major in the army , maybe one of the best ( if not the best ) at pigeon shooting at the time he went but he wasn't the type of person I would have liked to have spent a night out down the pub with ,....... To abrupt for my liking.

I can't remember what it's called, someone on here will know, but his biography was interesting, think it was by Prue Coats. As JDog says, things have moved on, I wouldn't want to hump solid steel poles very far! but then the great man had an old land rover, and after his hip operation a wife who helped him get set up.

I will weigh them, don't feel heavy to me, but I'm 6ft 4 n 17 stone so…….

Coats was a master decoyer but matters have moved on somewhat. Rape had just been introduced when he was shooting and the pressure on pigeons was much less than it is today.

I have the book and I have read it countless times.

Couldn't agree more, when I starting decoying seriously in 1985 on they decoyed much easier then than they do today. People say its because more people shoot them today but in my part of the world and in my lifetime less people shoot full stop! Several of the shooters I knew are dead! Some have given up recently due to the high Cartridge prices and some gave up years ago. Of the Twenty or so Shooters I knew as a kid, only Three are still at it and one of them is in his mid Seventies!!

Edited by Imperator SKB

Coats was a master decoyer but matters have moved on somewhat. Rape had just been introduced when he was shooting and the pressure on pigeons was much less than it is today.

I have the book and I have read it countless times.

Do you think the pigeons have changed their behaviour more due to the activities of pigeon shooters or to the combination of different weather and cropping?

I can't say I know the answer but my gut feeling is that the weather/cropping has had a big effect on pigeons since the mid seventies when I first started chasing them around.

Couldn't agree more, when I starting decoying seriously in 1985 on they decoyed much easier then than they do today. People say its because more people shoot them today but in my part of the world and in my lifetime less people shoot full stop! Several of the shooters I knew are dead! Some have given up recently due to the high Cartridge prices and some gave up years ago. Of the Twenty or so Shooters I knew as a kid, only Three are still at it and one of them is in his mid Seventies!!

I would be very surprised if there are less people shooting pigeons in your area than in the 80s.

Do you think the pigeons have changed their behaviour more due to the activities of pigeon shooters or to the combination of different weather and cropping?

I can't say I know the answer but my gut feeling is that the weather/cropping has had a big effect on pigeons since the mid seventies when I first started chasing them around.

There are more pigeon shooters now than in the 70's that's for sure.

I am not sure if pigeons have changed their behaviour too much. One thing for sure is that due to the growing of rape more pigeons survive the winter.

Out of interest, how much on average do people get for their birds? Here we get on average 25p per bird, that will go down to 20p come Christmas. Thats at the local Game Dealers. If you use Eley Grand Prix even at the top price you loose 1p every kill. I mainly shoot for sport but at these prices theres not much else to shoot for!!

Will take some pictures and put up soon. £20 for the set two at 5ft 6inch and two at 6ft.

Oh and Pencil Pointed as well. Had these Poles set up out in the middle of a 60 Acre Field a while ago in a 50 mph wind and once put in I never had to re set! I walk long distances to set up sometimes even though I have a 4x4 truck, most Farmers don't appreciate you rutting up Headlands, but they are worth their weight in gold to me.

post-76106-0-06649400-1448474426_thumb.jpg

post-76106-0-76642800-1448474436_thumb.jpg