Chutney pan, stainless or alloy ?

rodp

Can I throw a spanner in the works and suggest a good cast iron pan?

They heat evenly and retain the heat very well, so good to put on a simmer or just turn off the heat and pop a lid on. If you want a muckle great pan like a big jam kettle then a heavy gauge aluminium is best otherwise you could never lift the rascal onto the stove.

Edit to change an unexpected naughty word.

Edited by grrclark

I bought a 15 Ltr stainless steel stock pot from Ebay for under £18. Not the thickest of metal, but good enough to make curries & stews etc.

Not so thin it burns in spots?

Definitely an aluminium pan then, on stainless steel pans the sides are too thin on the really big ones or they are too heavy.

I would be less worried about the cooker than the inevitable hernia lifting a cast one :)

Concerned about alloy reacting with various ingredients in chutney, what do you reckon ?

Jam and chutney pots have been made out of alloy for donkeys years so it isn't something that would worry me. Maybe I am a chutney rebel and just don't know it :)

True, they have been around a while. And alloy does spread the heat better.

True, they have been around a while. And alloy does spread the heat better.

I googled and there are folk that say that an alloy pan can impart a flavour to the chutney so maybe stainless is the best choice, but my gran has a muckle great alloy jam kettle and it has seen many years of service with no one ever complaining.

Jam and chutney pots have been made out of alloy for donkeys years so it isn't something that would worry me. Maybe I am a chutney rebel and just don't know it :)

That doesn't mean they are safe though. I'm far from being a fusspot over such things but if I were buying one it wouldn't be alloy due to effects of aluminium, especially for chutneys where the acidity will mean more contamination.

Decent stainless would be my choice.

Very involved this chutney making lark :lol: Unsure now what to do, alloy will spread the heat better but stainless shouldn't impart any tastes to finished product :hmm: I may go for an old alloy one, working on the principle that the alloy will have "work hardened" to an extent and any surface impurities will be long gone. :good: Also a brand name will be a better alloy.

Well, I found an old alloy one on ebay for £20 posted, so I've ordered it. Time will tell if it's any good or not. One problem may be that it's too large, didn't bother getting a tape out to check metric measurements until I'd bought it :lol:

Can't visualise cm so have to check on a tape or convert to inches

Well, I found an old alloy one on ebay for £20 posted, so I've ordered it. Time will tell if it's any good or not. One problem may be that it's too large, didn't bother getting a tape out to check metric measurements until I'd bought it :lol:

Can't visualise cm so have to check on a tape or convert to inches

Don't want to worry you ..... but

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11159812/Aluminium-poisoning-may-trigger-Alzheimers-disease-claims-professor.html

There has been a discussion about aluminium and Alzheimer's going on for a long time. There was also a comprehensive investigation carried out that looked at the use of aluminium cooking equipment, plates, cups, soda cans, beer cans, etc and it established that they make no meaningful difference at all.

There has been a discussion about aluminium and Alzheimer's going on for a long time. There was also a comprehensive investigation carried out that looked at the use of aluminium cooking equipment, plates, cups, soda cans, beer cans, etc and it established that they make no meaningful difference at all.

Spoilsport! :lol: