There's a rat in my garden what am I going to do....theres a rat..

Nigelgreaves

Calling the people of the air gun world...

The inevitable has happened, rats are starting to show interest in my chicken hut and my duck house, though it has taken some months for the blighters to find them.

I am asking what would be a cheap but effective air rifle to control em. Mrs G says I can't spend a fortune on one specially after buying a new shot gun a couple of months back..

Thinking of second hand about £200 ish with a scope... I am working on the argument that it could be a chrissy pressy for my boy...😉 so might be able to stretch the purse strings...

If anybody as owt in the south / west yorks area cash waiting.

Cheers

Nige

Get on top of them with poison,the rats will be after the food.I had 80+ rats with the hw95 and trap combination. Poisoning is the only way to get shut of them,or get rid of the chickens and ducks,you could smoke them out and put some terriers on them. I thought it was fun a first getting the odd one or two every week but they keep multiplying and poison is the only answer really.

What about a Crosman Ratcatcher 2250b?

http://www.gunmart.net/guns_for_sale/26698/CROSMAN-2250B-RATCATCHER-CO2-WITH-4x15-SCOPE.html

A good starter gun for a boy

hello, that would be ok but with a torch and red led, oh Co2 is best kept indoors or warm before use, when i had a ratty catcher i used a hand warmer with capsules in a bag but dont let get to hot.

hello, that would be ok but with a torch and red led, oh Co2 is best kept indoors or warm before use, when i had a ratty catcher i used a hand warmer with capsules in a bag but dont let get to hot.

that is in winter for co2 summer no probs

Cheapest, Hatsan 900 Breaker, low recoil, light weight spring powered beastie with a silencer on a carbine length barrel, Browns of Sheffield have them for under £70. Walnut stock, open sights, only disappointment a slightly woolly trigger, but you can live with it. Has dovetails so you can fit a scope, a hell of a lot gun for very little cash and very capable of dropping vermin.

Next cheapest, Hatsan 55 or 60 S, Redbeck have them for around the £110 mark, weighty, but great trigger, better known as the Webley Stingray Mk 2 (for double the cost), once again Walnut stock and open sights.

Next up price wise is the Remington Express/SMK XS 19, in my mind not as good as the Hatsan 55 or 60, others will disagree.

All of those should allow you to get a scope, mounts and pellets too for well under budget!

Edited by secretagentmole

Hushpower 410 subsonic shells no noise

Odd kind of air rifle! I'd also be reticent in firing off a shotgun regularly in a small patch of land with poultry around. chickens habitually peck at grit to help break up tough grain and you don't want them taking up lead in the process.

There's also a question of whether you want to wipe them out or just control them and leave some sport for your lad. Poisoning (if you can be sure your birds won't get at the poison) or trapping will be more effective in elimination, but something like the 900x, or the HW95k would be a perfect tool. The latter is what I started on for the very same problem you have!

Trapping if much more time effective than shooting. Shooting is not the answer to everything.

but it can be serious fun where rats are concerned,, if it was me I would use concealed poison ( so it cant be consumed by other creatures ) and also a bit of use of the air rifle

Poison & Traps. Its a slow process with a air rifle.

Get a poison bait box to keep hens away.

Blunt object worked well for us and was the only choice for us. Square straw bales in the corner full of rats. Sealed it off with tin and threw out the bales.

Got 24 Rats with sticks and the Jack Russell.

jesus , I bet that was chaos

jesus , I bet that was chaos

You bet. Not recommended without decent gear. We had heavy welly boots on and the trousers tucked in. The saying is true that once they are cornered they go for you as i had one jump straight for me with the mouth wide open. Luckily i am good at football. Also another time with my dad cleaning out dung from under sheep mesh in the house with the loader and loads were running out his weapon of choice was the shovel as it was also a convenient tool for cleaning out dung from a shed. Its good for it and easier to hit with a large surface area but a little dangerous as he realised when a load ran out and he swung and got one then as he raised the shovel up for another swing a big one ran over the shovel resulting in him flipping it up in the air and nearly landing on his head. :no:

mole.

Agree ..... the Hatsan 900x for the price takes some beating .... I have ordered one ..... I will play with the trigger.

I have a Hatsan 900x brilliant little springer, excellent springer, very accurate, plenty of power for rats.

I'm not sure I would worry about exterminating the lot, having your own rat shoot can be great fun.