Glutton For Punishment

marsh man

On Friday we had a shoot on which meant me getting up just gone six to give me enough time for a cuppa , take the dogs out , get me bits and pieces ready and to be at the hall for 8.45 .

The weather for most of the day was like a lovely late Autumn day , if anything to nice , just after dinner I drove the guns close to there pegs and with me yarning when I was getting out of the lorry I didn't notice my cuff on my coat had caught on the handle that wined the window up resulting in me jumping to the ground and my left arm yanked back up in the air , at first I thought I had done a bit of damage as my arm went numb and was quite painful but as the afternoon wore on it started to get better although it was painful and a bit on the stiff side .

Time we got finished , sorted the game out and cleaned the lorry ready for the next shoot it was pitched dark and I still had to take the dogs out when I got home .

Saturday I was on another shoot which was just near Norwich , what a contrast with the weather , the day started with heavy rain when I took the dogs out first thing in the morning then after the same routine I just had time to change my wet trousers and coat before I had the 30 minute drive for 9 o clock start , We had heavy rain for most of the day and strong wind making the birds changeling but not that pleasant for the guns waiting on there pegs.

We finished around 3 pm , then once we were paid and I got my brace of birds I was on my way home , I thought I would have been to late to go down the marsh but with very little traffic I was home at 10 to 4 giving me just enough time to get my dog and head to the flooded marsh .

Time I got there I had about 10 minutes before it was dark enough to expect any duck movement and sitting on my seat I started to realise how cold it was getting , the flight itself was a decent flight , although how rough it was I thought it might have been better , never mind , I was still happy with the 2 Widgeon considering just over a hour ago I was more than 20 miles away.

Getting back home after another cup of tea I then had to take the young dog out , once back home again and been fed and watered it didn't take long for the heat to make my eyes heavy and apart from the news on the t v the rest of the night I was in the land of nod .

You had a better evening flight than I managed Marshman. I had four morning and three evening flights last week mainly on the south river , but three on the Norwich river and only saw a handful of duck all week and until the last morning very few geese. I only had 7 shots and my reward was just 4 mallard drakes. I was shooting on both club and syndicate ground and on a couple of nights saw nothing at all and even on the best fight only saw a dozen duck though on the last morning a few hundred greylag and pinks apeared , but all to wide for a shot.

It can only get better, I guess its been so mild that few migrant duck have come in , but after this weekend perhaps the cold weather will have pushed a few more duck onto the coast.

Edited by anser2

Great post Marsh Man. You are keen indeed.

Thanks Mr JDog....... Its a pity my body isn't as keen as my head is , still roll on tomorrow :yes:

You had a better evening flight than I managed Marshman. I had four morning and three evening flights last week mainly on the south river , but three on the Norwich river and only saw a handful of duck all week and until the last morning very few geese. I only had 7 shots and my reward was just 4 mallard drakes. I was shooting on both club and syndicate ground and on a couple of nights saw nothing at all and even on the best fight only saw a dozen duck though on the last morning a few hundred greylag and pinks apeared , but all to wide for a shot.

It can only get better, I guess its been so mild that few migrant duck have come in , but after this weekend perhaps the cold weather will have pushed a few more duck onto the coast.

Most of my duck lately have been Widgeon , although I did get two Mallard , the marshes I go on are getting a bit more water on them now so for the time being the duck are concentrating on one or two decent splashes.

Friday we were down near the Waveney Valley game shooting and there must have been more than a 1000 Pinks down there that we had put up from the spud fields , the geese had been left alone due to them not during any harm and Fridays shoot .

Another big lot have been going on the beet land down the West Caister area , these ones have been a problem and I have been asked to try and keep them off the land I go pigeon shooting on , so 2 or 3 a week I walk the dog down there and if there on the drillings I walk them off.

One of the members on here who only started wildfowling this season got 4 one afternoon last week which was his limit and 2 more a couple of days later on the clubs marshes on the other side of the river , he had then got his weeks limit. I am going to take him with me one night during the week to see if he can get his first Widgeon . Good luck if your going out under the moon over the next few days ,

I hope I am as keen when I am at your age marsh man !

You will be fenboy , just keep taking those capsules , and when I am in my rocking chair with my water boots on I will still be looking forward to your posts . :lol:

When I caught my arm Friday the only thing I was worried about was if I could still raise my gun up , although last year we had a chap shooting game who only had one arm , and here I am with one alright and the other a bit stiff so the worrying only lasted a few minutes :good: