Walked up grouse; what barrel length, bore and chockes are best?

Gin steady shooter

5ft 7ins, short,32 inch perrazzi. The best gun I've ever had and the best Results I've had in both game and clays.

I shot in many spaniel field trials with that gun without complaint. I much prefer longer barrelled guns as I prefer the weight balanced that way but shoot with a gun you are comfortable with and have confidence in.

After well over a century of making breech loading guns in the UK specifically for game shooting conditions in the UK, the 2 1/2" chambered 12 bore with 28" barrels bored imp cyl and 1/4 choke, firing 1 1/16 ozs of shot developed into the standard.......why would you not follow this specification when choosing a gun for game shooting in the UK?

After well over a century of making breech loading guns in the UK specifically for game shooting conditions in the UK, the 2 1/2" chambered 12 bore with 28" barrels bored imp cyl and 1/4 choke, firing 1 1/16 ozs of shot developed into the standard.......why would you not follow this specification when choosing a gun for game shooting in the UK?

I agree it is a well proven 'standard' - and it is virtually what I favour and use myself, except that I tend to use 1 oz or even 15/16 oz shot. However, the 'standard' doesn't suit either all people or all circumstances.

What I don't understand is those (particularly from across the Atlantic) who go for smaller bores, loaded to an enormous load - and then worry themselves sick about 'pressures', chamber lengths, forcing cone lengths and recoil. In this instance I think the original poster has actually bought a nice gun that will suit him well.