Decoys on flooded field?

walt1980

Local farmer where I shoot rang to say he's seen quite a few ducks on one of his fields which is flooded at the minute, not deep but covers most of it. Wants them thinned out, seeing more year on year, says he shot the odd one or two but never many.

My question is can I decoy on the water for them? And more importantly is it likely to bring them in?

He also said I can use lead as I'm not on the shore? To be honest I've got some steel carts anyway but just wanted to double check.

Cheers

It is illegal to use lead on Ducks in the uk wherever they may be .

Yes decoys such work very well in such conditions , you need to be set up an hour and half or so before dark . and well hidden.

I cannot see why the farmer thinks they need thinning out as they will be doing less damage than the flooding !

But at least it gives you the chance to bag a few .

Yes decoys such work very well in such conditions , you need to be set up an hour and half or so before dark . and well hidden.

I cannot see why the farmer thinks they need thinning out as they will be doing less damage than the flooding !

Completely agree, We have some land that floods a bit during winter and the ducks decoy well at dusk and into darkness.

It provides me with a nice little inland flight and a few ducks for the table.

As said the water there will be around long enough to kill corn growth and more than the ducks are grazing.

Since when has the law changed?

Free fertilizer! Not sure how ducks are a nuisance on flooded cut fields but shooting them to eat is perfectly fine.

Not sure why you would decoy to thin out numbers.....

There is a parasite they can pass to sheep but then again they also hunt the main host a snail

I was once asked myself but it's not a point to dwell on with some members looking for excuses to kill unsporting birds and at breeding times

In the instance I was asked another reason not to was brought up involving the owners of the sporting rights