FIRST ONE WITH COPPER

TONY R

The geese were shy this morning staying safe out of range, but i managed a duck... My first waterfowl with pure copper.

Played around patterningcopper and it patterns well, it behaves like you would expect it to being between steel and lead.

Fast like steel yet less fussy about choke, i found the 1/2 choke screwed in this gun to be the best patterning of several combinations and guns i tried.

Was a 40 yard shot and nothing i wouyld not be happy using steel loads on, but it least its not come up negative.

Early dfays yet but so far .. I LIKE IT !

CAM01269_zps7nzedr13.jpg

Old farrier! No published data for this shot i am aware of, i used a test barrel to work up data from vitavouri data off the old finish forum for lead steel etc. and guestimated from there for the start loads.

Testing proved i was initialy over cautious to the extreme (no bad thing) with this shot, its as i said quite forgiving and half as hard as steel.

It can manage to get decent speeds 1600fps and a little more, still hold decent patterns without resorting to tighter than normal chokes like the terror chokes as an example often needed with steel loads once its around 1600fps +.

Do i think itsa ok in older guns? opinion seems to think so. I would not like to use it in an old lightweight side by side game gun, but have no qualms about shooting it in say my bland Brent.

Guttersnipe!

Sadly i feel this the pure copper shot will not stand up to that much close scruitiny from the anti shooting bodies, copper is woefully toxic, and i dont think they will be very long at all shutting this stuff down for use.

But its here now its not super cheap but its i would think afordable to all, even when buying from SIARM at about 52 quid delivered for 2.5 kilo.

Or less and in bigger size (4.2mm) from Germany .

I have burned through nearly 5 kilo of 3s the biggest shot size SIARM sell getting it to where i have it now, and i will be buying more for sure, but how long it stays legal i do have my doubts personaly.

Sadly i feel this the pure copper shot will not stand up to that much close scruitiny from the anti shooting bodies, copper is woefully toxic,

At what concentrations is it toxic? If a pregnant Ewe goes down. The first thing we do is whack it with a copper injection. They're back on their feet in minutes?

It is toxic ! Just how harmfull to health when ingested i have no idea, but my guess is far less than lead shot and supose we have all swalloed a lot of that in our time. .

The lead vs copper water pipe scenario all ways get aired when talking about copper shot, but how relivant to this sittuation or toxicity in general i dont know, but copper is here lead is gone in water pipes, and they are trying to get rid of lead in shooting for sure. Now is copper the new lead ? Probably not, but its not illegal .. YET! And who knows its perhaps going to remaiun low enough in profile to duck under any legislation.

I myself hope it does dodge the environmentalists i think its good, its hard hitting and its safe in older guns and all though not lead its closer to lead than it is steel in performance and thus even closer to Bismuth and ITM. Now the fact copper can go at steel speed closes the gap even more, and this i do like.