wild fowling under moonlight

-ben-

I have some land that the duck and geese quite often flight over and if the weather is good this weekend light cloud and a almost full moon, i was going to try using a large plastic cut to look like a small splash to give a good background with some decoys on it. This probably sounds a crazy idea but i thought i could possibly work?

I have some land that the duck and geese quite often flight over and if the weather is good this weekend light cloud and a almost full moon, i was going to try using a large plastic cut to look like a small splash to give a good background with some decoys on it. This probably sounds a crazy idea but i thought i could possibly work?

hello, dont forget a duck call, interesting but not crazy, i am sure it has been tried before maybe in the war years when food was on ration.

It's an early season tactic that some of the old boys used to use when the ground was baked hard and not a lot of water around. The trick was to peg out a big sheet of poly in an area that fowl travel and they were tricked in to thinking it was a body of water and came for a look

I have some land that the duck and geese quite often flight over and if the weather is good this weekend light cloud and a almost full moon, i was going to try using a large plastic cut to look like a small splash to give a good background with some decoys on it...

Spooky, but someone was telling me about using plastic sheet as a fake splash under the moon just yesterday.

Edited by otherwayup

We have got a few fields locally that are covered with polythene that are protecting young crops and I have heard of Swans trying to land on them , so will your idea work ? , I have got my doubts but you wont know unless you try . Good luck

On some of my marshes , after this weeks heavy rain , I might try Black polythene to cover some up :lol:

What about a kiddies padling pool . Dont go mad on plastic yellow ducks . Any more the four tends to spook them .

Haha sorry couldnt resist .

Go for it mate . Your never know if you dont try .

Edited by stevo

It's an early season tactic that some of the old boys used to use when the ground was baked hard and not a lot of water around. The trick was to peg out a big sheet of poly in an area that fowl travel and they were tricked in to thinking it was a body of water and came for a look

Yeah' its not the first time ive heard of this and it apparently it was and is still used in the States when The Ground is covered in Snow or frozen.

I have never tried it myself but a few fellows out of our Club say they have used it on Stubble fields and the ducks where pouring into it.

I think it would be well worth giving a go. Nothing ventured nothing' gained and all that..!