Interception Day

kippylawkid

I mentioned in JDog's change in weather post last week that our syndicate shoot had had a massive influx of birds that were feeding on a strip of beech trees that was bordered by game cover crops and therefore out of bounds. Today brought half a gale of SW wind and the opportunity to intercept the very obvious line before they reached the beech. I was able to set up with the wind to my back 2 fields away on a winter wheat field and fire away from the game cover, lessening the disturbance. I was set up and ready for action at 9am with whirly, flapper and 6 dead birds. After a frustrating hour where large packs totally ignored my set up and I had blasted a good heap of shells for a handful of flighting pigeons, I tweaked the set up and it did the trick. The birds committed straight away and I filled my boots. The sport was fantastic and I had to concentrate on taking 1 from the packs as the second shot was invariably a flaring 40-50 yarder, testing shooting to say the least. I had promised our shoot captain I'd pack in at 1pm and after an extensive pick up of birds all over the field, I bagged up 86 pigeons. Another hour would have undoubtedly brought the ton up but a promise is a promise. No picture I'm afraid as I was scrambling to beat the monsoon that was rumbling in. Nearly all the pigeons were adult birds in top condition - nationality unknown!