Petition calls for ban on Findhorn wildfowlers

edenman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you agree to establish a permit system some organisation will have control over the access and shooting and they won't necessarily be shooter friendly........if you accept a permit cost then you set a precedent and that cost will inevitably increase......result you have handed over control and given up your age old right to free access to and shooting over the Scottish foreshore.

i have visited findhorn not as a shooter but had a watch from the birdwatch hide while i was at kinloss to fotograph aircraft there,seems like the shooters are getting out of hand if that is correct it gives us all a bad reputation,not a bad thing to regulate it it would probably be beneficial to all sides.

Once you agree to establish a permit system some organisation will have control over the access and shooting and they won't necessarily be shooter friendly........if you accept a permit cost then you set a precedent and that cost will inevitably increase......result you have handed over control and given up your age old right to free access to and shooting over the Scottish foreshore.

That's very true. As I said, run by wildfowlers for wildfowlers would be great but as we all know its highly unlikely to happen that way. As with anything, the few shooters (not all from south of the border) ruin it for the true fowler. Very unfortunate but it's never going to go our way now up here, we are and will no doubt continue to lose our freedom to shoot the foreshore in many if not all areas where geese frequent

Mr Carroll sounds like he knows his stuff, as for Ms. Mead :rolleyes: just another bigoted anti.

I am not sure she is to be honest , more like someone who is fed up with whats happening on her doorstep and if some of the allegations are true (which I expect some are ) she has every right to be peeved .

She just seems to be someone with an opinion on what the solution is ( stop shooting geese ) and she is entitled to that .

At the end of the day who is it providing the ammunition for her , I think some of those shooting there need to take a long hard look at themselves , but in truth I expect they don't really care , unlike a true sportsman.

I am not sure she is to be honest , more like someone who is fed up with whats happening on her doorstep and if some of the allegations are true (which I expect some are ) she has every right to be peeved .

She just seems to be someone with an opinion on what the solution is ( stop shooting geese ) and she is entitled to that .

At the end of the day who is it providing the ammunition for her , I think some of those shooting there need to take a long hard look at themselves , but in truth I expect they don't really care , unlike a true sportsman.

+1 as I've said before on this forum you need to be responsible at all times you never know who's watching, it's unfortunate that common seance isn't common.

There is always a risk of wounding with any shot at any distance but that increases greatly the further you push things so I would say yes high shooting will be playing a large part .

I don't think the shot type makes a difference as those responsible will still try to push things beyond the limit of what they are using , it must be worse in Scotland with no club commitees etc to be held accountable to.

Possibly, but the emotive language used like ' so many shots it sounded like a machine gun' is straight out of the anti's Christmas Book of Media Quotes'.

Is this increase in wounded geese as a result of high/out of range shooting? and since the lead shot ban, the present unavailability/unaffordability of effective tungsten based non tox cartridges and the reliance on inadequate CIP restricted steel cartridges?

If the shooting is taking place on farmland, it will most probably be lead that is being used.

It is the shooting on Findhorn Bay LNR that is under scrutiny.

It's birds being found on beaches that appears to have triggered this, but most of the shooting takes place on neighbouring farmland, according to a quote in the article. Any wounded geese would be sure to make for the water, I would think, before dying.

Sounds like a mirror image of what happened to Wigtown Bay many years ago, & I'm not surprised the locals are up in arms about it.

Possibly, but the emotive language used like ' so many shots it sounded like a machine gun' is straight out of the anti's Christmas Book of Media Quotes'.

I'm no anti, but I can vouch that is exactly what it sounded like from the auto volley squads at Wigtown.

I was a committee member of the club over 25 years ago and we tried to get a permit system going, never happened and I stopped shooting there a long time ago, nothing worse sitting out in a gutter to have some idiot walk right pass you and try to get closer to the geese on the roost.

As far as I am concerned should be controlled same as the Montrose basin.

Not that long ago a chap was charged with shooting rooks in the same area so I would be very careful if any of you out there are planning a Findhorn trip.

B.

Okay. I shoot the bay on a regular basis,I would call myself a responsible shooter, when I first moved up here I contacted Findhorn Wildfowlers to be told firmly I lived outside of their catchment area, & could not join , I now still shoot the area below high tide mark, I take a few Geese & duck over the season( I have access to a lot of inland stubble shooting, but I still prefer the wildness of the bay).I use steel & don,t shoot at out of range birds,.The only bit of bad sportsmanship I have seen was on opening day this year ,I arrived early, a snuggled down into the creek side,an hour later I saw a shooter amble down the far bank, I switched on my peak light & waited for him to take action, he started building a hide,this facing me over a narrow creek,I then stood up & he asked if I was really going to "set up there" I told him I had been there when he & his dog came down the bank,eventually he grudgingly moved off.. All other guns, residents & visitors alike that I have met have been gentlemen. It takes me an hour to drive there, & I allways take something back, even if I never fire a shot. It would have been nice for Findhorn Wildfowlers to have extended the hand of friendship but Hey Ho, lifes too short.

I know findhorn bay well, never shot the place , but it's good for picking up empty shot shell cases for reloading !

I walk my dogs on the beach, and yes if anything is lost in the bay with that strong tide it's dragged out to the beach.

I've seen plenty of geese dead on the beach, really is a shame that a wonderful place like findhorn with the sound of the sea and wildlife, is ruined for 6 months of the year by people who don't respect anything what is around them.

It's getting hard now to find any good quiet spots up north, past few years I really don't know what has got into people.