Nppc finding fields from list

archiebald

Hi I have joined the Nppc and I'm struggling a bit folding fields on the maps from the lists. They start with 2 letters then 6 didgits. Does anyone use a different method or am I just been useless?! When looking on maps on internet I can't find them with that system. How do others find them? Any tips or advice would be appriciated!

Edited by archiebald

They are Ordnance Survey map co-ordinates.

The National Grid, as it is known, divides the UK into 10km squares, each identified by two letters.

The letters are the square on the map and the numbers are the co-ordinates within that square starting at the south west corner. The first three are left to right and the second three south to north.

Sounds complicated, but it is quite simple when you get used to it.

Just out of interest a couple of my perms allow nppc to shoot pigeons but we only ever see them in winter on the rape.As a member can you shoot all the fields all year round?

Cheers

Fielddweller

Hi fielddwellwer im pretty sure you can shoot all year round, iv just joined and not been yet. speak to him (john shooter) he is a helpful and pleasant gent from when I contacted him.

Just put your letters and numbers in the grid reference box on the left of the page and a pin shape icon will highlight your chosen field. Hope you have some luck at your chosen field.

thanks Larro, are you a member too? thanks for the good luck! it will be nice to go somewhere new.

Hi fielddwellwer im pretty sure you can shoot all year round, iv just joined and not been yet. speak to him (john shooter) he is a helpful and pleasant gent from when I contacted him.

thanks Larro, are you a member too? thanks for the good luck! it will be nice to go somewhere new.

Yes archiebald I am a member but all the opportunities are miles away so doing any recon is really out of the question so I am having to just chance it. As it happens I did book some fields last week but drove around all the fields in that area, including the field I booked, for 2 1/2 hours looking for activity but not a sausage no flight lines no birds in the air and nothing feeding on the rape so had to go home which took about 1 1/2 hours.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am in a fortunate position and have quite a few farms where I can shoot,two of which allow nppc members to shoot,but I never see anyone until winter.As we all know winter osr shooting is the hardest time of the year due to birds flocking up,I had a drive round today and noticed a few huge flocks going from woods to osr.You could drive round and see them on a field and then in a moment gone to a near by field.All of of which is no good if you have traveled to get there.

So my point is, come in summer it's more fun it's warmer and you will shoot more.

However have fun what ever you do

Fielddweller

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a few farms near me allow NPPC on, along with local lads , so its gets a bit crowded sometimes.

I have spoken to some lads and they come from far & wide and usually go home disappointed .

Yes I have gone home disappointed. Travelled down south a fair few miles to shoot on a field I had booked not a sausage so while I was there I drove around for 2 hours just looking and getting lost and did not see any bird life what so ever. As I have no permissions it is one avenue where I can at least have the permission to walk on an actual field.

• 2 weeks later...

When you arrive at a field for the first time it's daunting you are still unsure if you have the correct field although you have checked the map 2 or 3 times you don't want the local police turning up saying you are poaching ,

I always took the map and lists with me,so if things went wrong I could try and explain why I was on the field.

As you can see by the lists it is always OSR however most farms have other crops such as barley and wheat, peas and beans but you never get to shoot these fields, why I could never work it out,if as a land owner you have issues with pigeons you shoot them on what ever stubble and crop,as for area's to shoot I used to shoot out by Selby , Malton was good,

Good luck

Edited by williamr

they used to stop you once the field where ploughed, then you had to wait for the new field list to be published so roughly 2mths.Dont know if that's still the procedures but still hood value.When you book a field there should be no other NPPC member there unless you've asked to shoot together.

Edited by Davyo

thats correct davyo the lists are there to shoot untill the next cultivation process,but if you shoot every week and are prepared to go out on call week days like i am cos im retired even though i have to drive a 100 miles each way i get to shoot almost all year,not had many blank days in the last year,ok so it can be hit n miss but i can live with that.

• 2 weeks later...

wish there was,but sadly no nearest for you will be around burton on trent if your in cheshire,otherwise its west yorks nearest for you.

Hey grandad your hardcore NPPC I might start up.....

LYSS let me see ........Lord Yougie Shooting society.. Ha ha ah. but. There only going to be me you in it.

Roll on spring eh

ATB

LY

Edited by Guest

• 2 months later...

Well the only drivable perm I got with the nppc is Stonnall and upon trying to book in today I was told " sorry he doesn't want anyone now as the rape has got established" also this farmer doesn't allow weekend shooting. So far nppc has been quite disappointing. Also having to call the day before or on a Friday if you wish to go on a Monday. Load of ******** really!!

I'm in the nppc. Harthill is completely useless at the moment. Me and a friend have blanked 4 times. Last time we sat in the car and watched another shooter get nothing. No flightlines at all.

Also Conisbrough seems off limits as well.

Little bit gutted.