Who runs two cars?

wildfowler.250

Just wondering here who has a normal day car and a shoot wagon? Planning leasing a 4x4 in the near future but do wonder if I would be better off leasing a normal car for running around and something like a Cheap jimny just for shooting?

Does it work out better? Or is twice the tax and twice the insurance not worth it? I can only use my no claims on one motor as well.

Cheers!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am/was looking at leasing a Isuzu dmax, but now starting to have second thoughts. From what I have read and been told all leasing companies are extremely harsh on any damage. Whilst I wouldn't be planning to use it like the Mule or a tractor, there would be times a stick may scratch it or the dogs on the way out.

Seems a bit strange considering the main selling point is how amazing they are as work vehicles

Plus leasing generally only allows u 10-12K miles and charge u more if ur over.

When i looked at leasing it was very dear for doing 25k plus u have any damages etc, not rough on motors but have a dirty job and always a chance of a dent here or there.

It really depends on the miles u do day to day? Any 4x4 is dear to run both on fuel and maintence, parts, even jimny's only get around 30mpg.

And how often can u actually drive it off road in 4wd? An awful lot of ground is so wet nowadays for most of the year even if u don't get stuck u will be tracking the fields.

Depends wot type of shooting u do but a cheap quad on a trailer is a pretty adaptable solution for getting about, assuming u have a safe place to lock it u

Double cab pick ups are quite a handy comprimise but a pain to drive manuevre about in town throu tight bits as so long. have a wee track i drive up to a wood and can travel easier up it in a combi van and trailer than with my picjk up as it has to be in 4wd to get up it.

the heavier 4x4 can be a pita in snow and ice as well, while great for grip on normal roads, but going up steep hills can be far to heavy to come down safely if u hit an icy strech as they just take of due to wieght/momentum

I would imagine if u got one how few times u actually have it in 4wd, amazing where u can put a 2wd van/car at times, when i first started keeperng shoot only had a 2wd van, and most forestry rangers only drive 2wd vans too

Had an l200, but it was badly abused on my old shoot as it was rough as.

New shoot is much better, and we have mule which I use day to day. Currently have a fiesta van, which like you say will go surprisingly far, but it isn't really built for it!

Might look at 2nd hand nearly new, I can use it however I want then!

I have constant conflict with running two motors, Day car is a 435 and shooting bus is a landcruiser. Before these I had an X5 and used it in the field as well as on the roads and it went everywhere but you can't help but worry about catching it on a fence post or the trees rubbing it. The road tax and insurance was about the same as the excess on the day motor so when I changed the X5 I went to a second motor. Best decision even if its a pain the **** having two motors on the drive. No worries when out shooting anymore

When both wife and I worked we needed two cars, and when retired considered having just one good 4x4. However when I looked into it to buy a good 4x4 that had comfort and good off road capability I was looking and £25000 plus. When I did the maths it was much cheaper to but a good car and continue to keep my old Suzuki grand Vitara on the road.

I've got a Ford Kuga X4 for the road and a 2003 swb Frontera for shooting and fishing. Wife has a little Peugeot. Frontera's a cracking little 4x4, and only got stuck once when i took it around a "proper" very muddy off-road course.

I did intend on getting rid of the Frontera when i picked the Ford up, but ended up keeping it, as within weeks i'd curbed the Ford twice! Once when i took it fishing, and their was a lump of concrete in long grass. :oops:

I run 2, Daily driver is an 04 Honda accord (work) and the shoot wagon is a Honda 1997 Cr-v. Never let me down.

Come to think of it my Lawnmower is a flipping Honda too.

By the way..... No... I don't work for Honda.

Apologies if i've asked this before, but is the CRV permanent 4 wheel drive? If not, how is it selected? They seem to keep their value well, and i've been eyeing them up for a while, as a more "comfortable car like 4x4". From the outside, they don't seem to have changed much outwardly from the 2000 model through to around 2007.

i run a landcruiser 120- had it about ten years now and used to always run a cheap mileage car as my daily commuter.

the LC was only doing about 6k between mots. Now i have sacked off the second car and the cost of the second insurance, tax etc goes into running the LC full time. I still love the truck and it ticks all boxes from a large safe family car through to weekend shooting truck.

work out the figures of running two cars and the maths make sense. i have the use of the wifes company car if we need to do any long runs or dont fancy the drive in the slower LC.

only other solution i could suggest is to run say a low co2 with cheap tax and then a tax free old landrover as a second truck. That said i've had enough series landrovers to appreciate the benefits of air con and a heater to go back to one.

f.