Who runs two cars?

wildfowler.250

Talking to a fell the other week said that a Freelander (which I thought was a joke) is way better than people think and provided it has the BMW diesel in it 01 onwards they you should be OK or no worse than average. The fella bought one for his Mrs and is a mechanic by profession......

Anyone else got one as the second car or shoot-bus ?

I've got an 02 TD4 which I bought a few weeks ago for £1500. Had to replace both front window regulators and the driver's door cl lock, all of which are common problems which I was aware of prior to purchase. Generally pleased with the car, decent off road in the slime and quite nippy on the black stuff. Wife now uses the Santa Fe as her car although we'll use that for longer trips as more comfortable than the Freelander.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use an 05 reg Galaxy diesel for cabbing but our council has determined they will not re licence a car after 11 years of age - regardless of condition or mileage. They've decided to update the city fleet using other peoples money. If I wish to replace it it has to be less than five years old and and will not be allowed to be re-presented if it fails its initial council test. I can't afford a decent 5 year old car and will be just over 65 when its licence expires next Feb so I will be forced to retire with it.

I share a 15 years old Honda CRV with Mrs-G who won't use a large car and it has to be automatic.

I feel inclined to P-EX them both for something slightly bigger and more sure footed when that time comes and will be taking a good look at Circa 15 year old Grand Vitara's.... If they have automatics of course, anyone know if they do a two door?

Edited by Dave-G

So what pickup has the best mpg and reliability for the weekly commute and is still ok to shoot out of/use for shooting

Mpg is actually not the biggest issue as the best against the worst don't amount to a hill of beans at 12 k pa

Depreciation is Always going to be the big one

I run an l200 mitsi presently it's way better on fuel than our road car but it's not exactly like for like

I just cant afford or justify spending 25-30k on a car just to throw it up and down the motorway though. Also i dont know how people afford it. Just running a vectra diesel saloon atm because its just a throw away car i paid 4.5k for it and have already done 50k in it and after say 3 years it will be worthless because of the mileage

Id love another 4x4 though i really miss my old terrano