Magnet power

aga man

On the auction sites a friend of mine has come accross these power bank jump starters, not much bigger than a mobile phone.

We are now both wondering if these devices could run a wiper mot magnet with dead birds?

They are stated as 50800mAh??

I won't post a direct link as i believe it's against house rules, but could anyone advise on wether or not this would work.

Thanks

I think you might have added an extra nought onto that mAh figure. Anything over 5Ah in something the size of a phone is close to impossible.

Taking these out of a booster pack will cause you problems, as you'll not be able to charge them. I don't know the ins and outs of this booster pack, but my guess is that there's a fairly large capacitor inside and it's used to dump a huge amount of current in a short space of time, so it'd be useless for what you want.

My best advice, if you want a compact battery system is to go and buy a proper lithium battery pack or two and a balance charger. Lithium batteries are extremely dangerous and if you don't know what you're doing you can easily burn your house down when you recharge them.

I'm more than happy to point you in the right direction and give you advice. Proper lithium batteries, charger and connectors will probably set you back £100.

Probably a typo, they are more likely to be rated at 5800 mAh (which in itself is probably optomistic) rather than 50.8 Ah.

Edit. Unless they are capacitor type packs that let out a lot of power over a very short time?

Yes you could be right, it says on the listing they will start a car approx 20 times on one charge!

I think you might have added an extra nought onto that mAh figure. Anything over 5Ah in something the size of a phone is close to impossible.

Taking these out of a booster pack will cause you problems, as you'll not be able to charge them. I don't know the ins and outs of this booster pack, but my guess is that there's a fairly large capacitor inside and it's used to dump a huge amount of current in a short space of time, so it'd be useless for what you want.

My best advice, if you want a compact battery system is to go and buy a proper lithium battery pack or two and a balance charger. Lithium batteries are extremely dangerous and if you don't know what you're doing you can easily burn your house down when you recharge them.

I'm more than happy to point you in the right direction and give you advice. Proper lithium batteries, charger and connectors will probably set you back £100.

Thanks for that billy, to be fair we manage well enough on 22ah golf trolley type battery's, it was purely the compact size and weight of this device that was atractive, and the 30 odd quid price tag!

When something seems too good...........

Thanks for that billy, to be fair we manage well enough on 22ah golf trolley type battery's, it was purely the compact size and weight of this device that was atractive, and the 30 odd quid price tag!

When something seems too good...........

Don't get me wrong, lithium batteries have their benefits. They also have some big negatives too. Cold weather makes them very inefficient,they're quite fragile and they cost more. If you take care of them, you can pack the same 22Ah you have into about a third of the area and half the weight.

Charging them is the most dangerous bit. So people go out and buy these lipos and either buy the cheapest charger they can find or just hook it up to a standard battery charger :oops:

This numpty decided to charge a lipo in his car...!

Billy is right,lithium batteries can pose a significant risk is left unattended when charging or charged with cheap inappropriate equipment, I would recommend sealed lead batteries as they are cheap, very robust, stand neglect and cold and give piece of mind.

One of the most significant problems is physical damage/shock..........who can say their batteries are never dropped or banged about!

Lead acid in a sealed battery for me as it is cheap and simple, low risk and fails safe rather than burning the house down!!!!

Edited by Goldfish

I leave mine in the garage to charge overnight between shooting days. I'm now going to panic if I leave it on unattended. I may have to place in the open under a plastic box with the charger just in case.

The safest place to charge them is in the garage, on a concrete floor or on a paving slab. Better still, charging inside a metal ammo box is by far the safest option. Putting a plastic container over or near it will only help fuel a fire.

If a lipo sets on fire, it's generally quite a short and sharp fire which burns very hot with a jet of fire. Depending on how many cells (three for 12V) Each cell will burn individually in the same fashion.

Don't stress too much about charging them though. If you're sensible and only charge them when you're home, you'll be fine. Check what charger you use and see if there are any reports online of it being recalled. If it's a balance charger, then I insist charging using this method, or your battery cells will eventually fall out of sync. Even the best charger out there can't safely charge a lipo if it's not got the balance lead plugged in, as this reports the voltage across each cell rather than the entire battery.

If you're unsure, or need any help, drop me a message.