Greylag/Brick recipe!

Tomo-1

I was shooting clays with some fellow wildfowlers at the weekend when I was talking about cooking wildfowl.

One particular gentleman said " Have you heard about the Greylag and brick method? Clean your goose, insert a clean heat brick into the goose. Cook in the oven.

Remove the brick from the goose. Throw away goose. Eat the brick!"

I was shooting clays with some fellow wildfowlers at the weekend when I was talking about cooking wildfowl.

One particular gentleman said " Have you heard about the Greylag and brick method? Clean your goose, insert a clean heat brick into the goose. Cook in the oven.

Remove the brick from the goose. Throw away goose. Eat the brick!"

That saying has been doing the rounds for over 50 year's that I know of and is Total Rubbish.

Cooked right any Wild Goose is Very good eating.

Over the years I've had far worse Steak from a Super Market

I didn't say it was right. It just made me laugh!

It's a shame to think that this may put people off of eating wild goose.

I speak to various people day to day and I get the impression that 'Mr Average' thinks that wild goose is tough and poor tasting when compared to a farm raised domestic goose (which I know started life as a grey; in evolutionary terms!).

I agree with the Super Market analogy. I have cooked a really nice piece of steak and managed to make it tough as old boots........easy to do!

Edited by Tomo-1

I think it was coined around Brent and Coot.

Going back to when I first started to bring any thing I shot home to eat in the 60s , the only thing I can ever remember dumping after it was cooked was a Curlew , even the brick and the oven went into the skip . :lol:

A goose was a luxury to eat , apart from a Brent ( which we didn't shoot , or wernt suppose to ) , anything else was good food , we even dined on a Cygnet once , and I must say it was better than some of the geese I have eaten since those far off days . How did I get the Cygnet ? , it hit the telegraph wires on a foggy night. :lol::lol:

It isn't true about Brent and Coot either.

It's one of the silliest pieces of so-called wit ever, yet you hear folk, (especially those who are shooting "ditch-chickens"), trot it out as if it were sparkling and original time after time.

OK.. What exactly is a ditch chicken --- That is a new one on me but i have led a very sheltered life. :lol:

I have even heard this across the pond although although it was Snowgeese that it was reffered too,Whereas the Whitefronts/specks were reffered to as The ribeye of the Sky.

I have an old game cook book where there is a recipe for an Old Goose called "Grander Gander" were it basically gives a recipe for vegetable soup and then says carefully wrap the goose in newespaper and put all the veg peelings around it and dig a Hole in the Garden and by the time your finished go back and enjoy the soup and forget all about the buried Goose.

People Shouldnt forget that in the days of the Market gunners all wildfowl was eaten and appreciated from Swans ,Brent waders of all sorts to seaducks.I think overtime peoples palates/tastes have changed with so much options available to eat. I have never thrown anything out that I have shot apart from a Canada goose I shot many yeras ago but thats another Story. I have eaten Curlew in curries and it was not at all that bad.

Im taking it that your "Fellow Wildfowlers" were only having a laugh and it was a bit tongue in cheek' but as far as i would be concerned if anyone really believed this old wifes tale

and thought that about any Goose species then they should not be shooting them in the first place.!

Heres another old Saying,Although not at all in anyway Funny but i still think Holds true.

There are Many people who shoot Ducks and Geese but they may not be all be Classed as Wildfowlers.

I certainly agree with you SupeerGoose, if so called Wildfowlers are shooting Goose roosts. This is my first year in a fowling club, and I have spent a lot of time enjoying what I consider to be one of the last remaining wilderness areas in this country (while not having a single shot most of the time, which is not a problem as I won't starve), which I consider a privilege to be able to shoot over.

So........how do you cook a Wild Goose to perfection?

Cygnets reared for the table should not be allowed to get into salt water.

Apparently its not illegal to eat Swans , the sticky bit would be getting one in the first place to eat . they used to say the Queen owned the Swans but I think I read somewhere she only own the Mute Swans . although the others are still protected .

they used to say the Queen owned the Swans but I think I read somewhere she only own the Mute Swans . although the others are still protected .

Not quite right. My grandfather's cousin used to rear cygnets for his employer's table. They were never allowed to get into salt water,not sure what they were fed on, grass or Zostera.

A chap told be that coot should be soaked in heavily salted water for 24hrs, the water is then poured away and the procedure repeated before cooking. He is the only person that takes any of the coot drive bag home to eat. We even gave some to the Russians who were on board the 'klondikers' processing fish that local boats caught. Next day, dozens of coot were washed up on beaches nearby.