Greylag/Brick recipe!

Tomo-1

I certainly agree with you SupeerGoose, if so called Wildfowlers are shooting Goose roosts. This is my first year in a fowling club, and I have spent a lot of time enjoying what I consider to be one of the last remaining wilderness areas in this country (while not having a single shot most of the time, which is not a problem as I won't starve), which I consider a privilege to be able to shoot over.

So........how do you cook a Wild Goose to perfection?

Not to sure if it could be classed as perfection but I mostly cook my Geese Whole. When I lived at Home they were always done in a Range Cooker' After soaking over night in Salted water they would be stuffed with onion and apple and Roasted with streaky bacon over the Breasts. On a few occasions they have bee roasted breast side down in red wine. You have to keep checking them as they can dry out but if you get them when the juices run clear they and not over done they are ok. Im not one for eating Wildfowl rare.

I dont shoot to many Geese' but any that are shot are either used by myself or given away.I always dress the birds out before giving them away should they be Geese,ducks pigeons ect..i shot them so its up to me to deal with them. If giving geese away i usually American dress them although have Many times plucked the whole bird before passing on. I have cooked goose breasts simply by putting something between them, Stuffing ect and wrapping in Streaky bacon and roasting,but it has to be said a Whole roasted goose tastes better in my opinion.

Ive eaten the 3 Grey geese species and Canadas and the best I ever had was Pinkfeet. Its not a common goose here but a few turned up 15 yrs ago and I managed to bag one and roasted it in the range and im not lying when I say it was like roast beef. My eldest nephew who was not long at primary School had some and loved it and he took some to school in Sandwiches the next day with brown sauce. I dont think there would have been many at school eating pinkfoot sandwiches. i have shot a few over the yrs and they have been very tasty.

The Canada goose I through out was when I started shooting on my own when I was 16 yrs old. I was reading lots of Shooting mags and books at the time and it was said that a goose shold be hung from A week to 3 weeks. I shot big old honker one evening flight and came home and hung it in the shed. A few days passed and my Father said to me its a bout time you got that goose sorted out.I told him i was hanging for a week at least and he gave me a look and told me it would be rotten. The 7 days passed and although I myself could get a srtrong aroma from the goose I was intent on plucking and eating it. I took the bird from the shed and went in the back door to the Kitchen and a couple of my Sisters who where in the kitchen at the time Ran out holding their noses.I proceeded to the sink and began plucking and the skin was green and the smell was awful and my father appeared and told me to Get that ******* goose outside and dump it..and i was well warned if i shot anymore to get them sorted sooner. :oops: I never hang birds for very long and usually have them sorted the following evening or morning after that.

An old Boy told me years ago he once shot a Whooper Swan and he had to saw it in half with a Bow saw to fit in his oven and he said the amount of grease that came out of it was unreal..He also said it was damn tasty.

You Sound to me as you have the makings off a very Good Fowler and are enjoying it for the right reasons..Best of luck with your new Club and I hope you have many happy times ahead in the best sport of all.

PS i have a few goose breasts in the freezer and I have put a Mincer on my Santa list and im hoping it arrives..Should have had one years ago..!

Edited by SuperGoose75

Thanks for all of your answers, especially Mr Supergoose and his essay! Interesting stuff. Thankyou.

I did the same with a pheasant when I was about 16 and venturing into my Mum's kitchen. I listened to the old boys on the beater's trailer

when they said I should hang a pheasant for a week. When I went to dress it it was crawling with maggots! It was in a cold shed, but not cold enough obviously......

Since then I have always hung a pheasant for no more than a couple of days. Not a lot of difference in the taste between hanging and dressing straight away in my opinion.

Thanks for all of your answers, especially Mr Supergoose and his essay! Interesting stuff. Thankyou.

I did the same with a pheasant when I was about 16 and venturing into my Mum's kitchen. I listened to the old boys on the beater's trailer

when they said I should hang a pheasant for a week. When I went to dress it it was crawling with maggots! It was in a cold shed, but not cold enough obviously......

Since then I have always hung a pheasant for no more than a couple of days. Not a lot of difference in the taste between hanging and dressing straight away in my opinion.

I was on a shoot yesterday and the conversation dinner time was about hanging game , and they were saying with all this mild weather they have been getting a lot of game that have been wasted through hanging to long and going green within a few days .

If I don't want to eat something I have shot within a few days I will put it in the freezer till a later date . I don't believe in wasting anything .

I heard it was a Cormorant you stuffed with a brick marinated with diesel for two days and buried for a week before cooking up.

You eat anything when you're hungry.

Chiefy

I tried Cormorant in South Uist in the 70's it was ok, i would'nt want a lot of it but as a taster it was fine

• 2 weeks later...

If you don-t eat it....don-t shoot it!

or at least give it away to those who can enjoy it.

Never cooked Canadas, but when i cook gray or pink .... there-s a queue outside and the wee man goes bonkers, considering he doesn't like supermarket chickens.....it's quite a statement!! :lol:

Cook just under 80 degrees celsius, let it rest while you're making the gravy with the juices and if it's an old one just skin it and wrap the breast and legs with bacon....

oh, yeah, roasted potatoes too... :good:

Some animals don't suit traditional roasting and are better in something like a casserole. Had Canada Goose casserole (with lardons, pearl barley, potatoes and veg) and it was superb.

Same with Shoveller, shot one once and ate the breasts lightly fried in olive oil and seasoning, it was great and as tender a flavour as Teal. I gather a lot depends on what it's been eating.