WHERE ARE ALL THE PIGEONS

mikee

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

had a couple of small flocks bombing about today but noting commiting to any areas as such , there is so much volunteer crop on nearly every field what with no harsh cold weather this year , there food source is everywhere and its hard to pin them down

tbox, on 23 Dec 2015 - 9:14 PM, said:

same here. Got 3 fields of OSR this year on my permission and was thinking I was in for a good deal of sport... not a sign of them! better after a hard freeze do we think?

its not essential to get them on the rape seen birds on it recently and they are getting shot on the forum in the mild weather but they always turn up on the rape when it gets cold (around here they do anyway)

Got a reasonable number on a couple of rape fields on my shoot out Chelmsford way. Going for a look Tuesday. They have been in the area and on the rape for a wilewhich is all on the boundaries of the shoot.

1000 hitting the OSR where my shoot is coming out one of the woods thursday should see the 4 of us out chasing them around the farm

The food table is so vast at present they have no desire or need to eat rape, would you want to exist on sprouts and cabbage. Any cereals left standing will be a definite draw, we have one farm where they have planted three metres of a short type of barley all round the edge of the rape fields. This has the effect of suggesting they are on the rape but they are not. The birds shot last week although decoyed over rape had acorns, green Ivy berries,sloe's ,hawthorns and seed in them. The weather is wet but warm they do not have to eat hard to keep warm just to sustain the body weight. Each year we have new challenges to outwit our adversary and that makes it so fascinating , the passenger pigeon in the USA followed the same migratory lines each year and paid the price to extinction. I would hate the Wood Pigeon to be so predictable that you could set up and shoot hundreds in a session due to you being on a rape field in the winter. Just my thoughts.

Just roost shot a dozen this afternoon. 1 had a bit of wheat in its crop, 1 had sloes and the rest were all chock full of OSR. This has been pretty typical for the last month or so where I shoot. All the haw berries seem to have gone now where the birds were stuffed with them into November and the acorns and beech mast never made much of a showing in the first place.