WHERE ARE ALL THE PIGEONS

mikee

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that most pigeon shooters have a pair of binoculars and that most look through them :yes:

I have a pair, but maybe I'm leaving the lens caps on because there ain't pigeons about here and I REALLY look.😕😕

Edited by Dr D

That is not what i meant. Many, many miles sometimes have to be travelled before finding where all the pigeons have ' disappeared ' to.

Absolutely true. The lot I was shooting the other week are probably somewhere along the Portuguese Spanish border.😊😊

Edited by Dr D

On the farm we put a rocket up but we didn't think the pigeons were on the osr how wrong lots of birds

This may well be what Motty was alluding to. The pigeons were there all along but you just never saw them until the banger went off. Had you been sitting there with binoculars watching that field you would surely have noticed some movement?

This may well be what Motty was alluding to. The pigeons were there all along but you just never saw them until the banger went off. Had you been sitting there with binoculars watching that field you would surely have noticed some movement?

We have tight flocks of birds with none joining at present so they can be down behind a hill and you will not know until you drive the ground or walk to lift them. The only problem is that one shot and they do not return or if they do in a flock and you shoot two and spook fifty.

went for a walk about on my perm this morning. couple of hundred lifted off the OSR as I approached so they seem to have found it now... setting up the hide this afternoon to shoot later in the week..

But how do you know your hide will be in the right place to shot it later in the week?

We have tight flocks of birds with none joining at present so they can be down behind a hill and you will not know until you drive the ground or walk to lift them. The only problem is that one shot and they do not return or if they do in a flock and you shoot two and spook fifty.

Exactly the same here. Was out this morning. Notice a couple of birds dropping into a field. Sat for 20 mins and seen nothing. I then took a walk and pushed of a few hundred that where very tightly flocked and feeding in a dip. Not sure if they will decoy. It didn't look to promising, but you never know. I will check them out later in the week. Ideally, I would like a bit of cold weather, so there would be some urgency in the feeding.

Just out of interest is this what pw members consider to be big flocks? 150 birds. When I post about flocks. Which admittedly is rare! What I am referring to is hundreds of birds at a time, with flightline or feeding flocks of several thousands. The problem, however, is that large quantities like that doesn't necessarily mean more birds shot. In my experience, I am just as likely to take as big a bag off a field where they decoy in ones and twos as when they come in to the deeks a couple of hundred at a time.

Anyhow, all those big! flocks pass through every year in a short number of weeks. And this year was harder work than usual.

Today's scout revealed small feeding flocks similar to the previous post, but they are on all sorts - turnips, potatoes, stubble/chick weed, brussels sprouts, clover and sitting around in the trees. I have no idea what to do. The pigeons have beat me.

Just out of interest is this what pw members consider to be big flocks? 150 birds. When I post about flocks. Which admittedly is rare! What I am referring to is hundreds of birds at a time, with flightline or feeding flocks of several thousands. The problem, however, is that large quantities like that doesn't necessarily mean more birds shot. In my experience, I am just as likely to take as big a bag off a field where they decoy in ones and twos as when they come in to the deeks a couple of hundred at a time.

Anyhow, all those big! flocks pass through every year in a short number of weeks. And this year was harder work than usual.

Today's scout revealed small feeding flocks similar to the previous post, but they are on all sorts - turnips, potatoes, stubble/chick weed, brussels sprouts, clover and sitting around in the trees. I have no idea what to do. The pigeons have beat me.

It's difficult to estimate, one or two flocks could have been 200 + but don't want to over estimate, and Yes, for this part of the world that is a big flock..

Well remember the PC tip. If they come in on mass shoot birds at the back of the flock to try and split them up. I think that what he does?!?!?!

That seems to work, quite often the ones in the front get confused and circle back around for another go...

I never shoot at big flocks just jump up and down waving my arms about like a lunatic to try and get rid of them one or two bangs at a big flock and that is them off for the day. Hopefully after getting rid of all the birds in the area you wish to shoot they return in more manageable numbers that is of course if you have done your reconnaissance and the field you are setting up on is the one on which the birds wish to feed.

Went to what once was one of the best roosting woods ever last night, although it has been rubbish the last two years. Thoughts of an uncut bean field within a mile brought thoughts of past and maybe present glory. We put out about a score as we walked in and about thast amount returned in drips and drabs. Two down for five shots and one possible in the trees both birds were stuffed with OSR.

Blackpowder

I had a trip round several pieces of land yesterday, there are definitely more birds on the OSR than in previous weeks and definitely more pigeons in the area, hopefully their numbers will build and make it worth getting all the gear set up

Mikee