BASC film on snares

Quite funny really, all those mentioning about the scent being left.

A few months ago, I was walking, nice and quietly, along a forest ride. Stopped and stepped off the path to examine some tracks on a small little path running through the bracken nearby.

When I straightened up, 30 seconds later, a fox was trotting along, quite happily, down towards me, on the route I'd just come down.

Not sure who was more surprised, me or it. The fox certainly recovered it's senses faster than I could raise a gun, and was gone off the path in an instant.

Not the first time I've seen a fox going along where someone has just been, completely happy, and I'm sure it won't be the last.

As a complete nobstick when it comes to snaring foxes I am curious as to what he did wrong or what he could have done better. I can appreciate the benefits of trying to leave as little scent as possible but what else should have been in / out of the video?

As a complete nobstick when it comes to snaring foxes I am curious as to what he did wrong or what he could have done better. I can appreciate the benefits of trying to leave as little scent as possible but what else should have been in / out of the video?

As I said earlier on, scent makes minimal difference.

Glynn was actually very cautious in his snare setting in the video. A lot of people aren't so careful with placement, ensuring no suspension points or potential snarl-ups are in reach of a snared fox.

I look forward to seeing a load of the critics post up their own snare-setting videos, to show all the novices how it's done.

Must admit i thought it wasnae too bad for wot it is.

End of day people spend there whole life learning and fine tuning how to snare foxes so ur pretty limited wot u can put accross in a 10 min video.

As for the scent thing, u have to walk to check them and set them intially not a lot u can do to avoid it, more crucial the scent on the snare/peg/tealer than any air/foot scent u leave.

I know when i done my snareing course the instructors knew the craic, almost whole course were FT keepers as were the instructors so just got the legal points over and wot ever practical things they had to *****, as so many ways to snare no real right or wrong way.

There is a fairly well known snarer that sets all his snares about 12-15" almost twice the hieght most would snare at and he catches a lot of foxes and has snared professionaly out in USA for years

We're meant to trim rashes down now incase the fox/snare can get tangled in them