LandRover Defender 110 anti- theft device

SNS

Just occurred to me I've a couple of back to back days coming up next month and so my beloved Defender will be staying away from home. Which means I probably ought to beef up its security.

So, fellow Defender owners, what do you have / recommend please ?

If you don't have much on it when it's at home, I'm very surprised you still have it.

It doesn't matter where it's parked, you should always have it locked as much as possible.

Steering wheel off, battery switch, pedal lock & hidden fuel switch are all a good place to start.

Jeez! Where do you live...Beirut?

With regard the pedal lock....There may be different types available but the only ones i'm aware of go through the steering wheel and down to the pedals. My advice -- DON'T USE THEM!!.

I once had a car stolen that had both the pedal lock described above and a krooklock between the gear stick and handbrake. The thieves cut the top off the gear stick to remove the krooklock and bolt cropped through the steering wheel to remove the pedal lock. I got the car back but the cost to replace the damaged parts was ridiculous. I wish i'd just fitted an after market immobiliser. (it had a manufactureres one fitted as standard but was easily overridden by the thieves).

Many thanks all - I've ordered a pedal lock that locks over all the pedals and seems to have decent reviews

Ditchman- I fear you confuse me with someone that knows anything about cars !

I think I may get a tracker fitted too - I'm actually not leaving it for long, only over night on a couple of occasions and one of those is at a fairly remote shoot lodge, so is just my hotel in Wales to worry about. Fingers crossed if it does go, the thief is unable to cope with the position of the heated sports seats and momo steering wheel and gives up within 5 miles.

With regard the pedal lock....There may be different types available but the only ones i'm aware of go through the steering wheel and down to the pedals. My advice -- DON'T USE THEM!!.

I once had a car stolen that had both the pedal lock described above and a krooklock between the gear stick and handbrake. The thieves cut the top off the gear stick to remove the krooklock and bolt cropped through the steering wheel to remove the pedal lock. I got the car back but the cost to replace the damaged parts was ridiculous. I wish i'd just fitted an after market immobiliser. (it had a manufactureres one fitted as standard but was easily overridden by the thieves).

That must have been in the 80's :whistling: the items you describe are old tec and easily removed . Older Defenders and 110's on electronic immobilizers are quite easy to bypass, new peddle locks do just what they say, as in a big piece of folded steel covering the three peddles by a big padlock on the brake peddle.

SNS

If i where you id remove the steering wheel and take it to the hotel with you.

ATB

Coldweld

That must have been in the 80's :whistling: the items you describe are old tec and easily removed . Older Defenders and 110's on electronic immobilizers are quite easy to bypass, new peddle locks do just what they say, as in a big piece of folded steel covering the three peddles by a big padlock on the brake peddle.

ATB

Coldweld

Close...It was 1995 and a 1992 Vauxhall Cavalier Sri but the items (or similar design) can still be bought and are advertised as pedal locks and steering wheel locks. My point to the OP was not to use this type of security when there are better ones about.

The new style pedal lock that you mention is one example of this but there are cheaper and more effective security measures as mentioned in some of the posts above. :good:

• 2 weeks later...

Just don't park it anywhere that a flat bed or recovery truck can line up (I know doing so is second nature to most LR drivers) as it's easier to nick a beaver tail transit and winch one on than drive it away.......

Engage difflock and remove linkage should stop anyone getting far in Wales.....