Started stock

winnie&bezza

That is looking very good! I do like the stippling!

Cheers mole, amazing what hitting a 4" nail can do haha. I prefer it to chequering on rifles I must say but I want to try and and the edges of it neater if I can.

well done, coming on well

Cheers mate, just need a good few hours to finally nail it ready for oiling.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all. I think this is the final shape I'm going to go with. I've reduced a few of the curves and altered the grip a little. A friend of mine is going to fill the small knots as he's a French polisher and he's going to give me an oil mix to use. Got all of next week off so hopefully I can start oiling. Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

image_zpsqde4qunc.jpeg

image_zpssoskjgph.jpeg

Evening all. Been looking at stock recently and I thought the front end looked a tad boring compared to some sticks out there so after thinking about my options and seeing the stippling grip on the impact airguns 600 Rifle I decided to do this. Some of you might think I've ruined it or not the best decision but i think it looks pretty good on it and I'm contemplating taking it further down the underneath towards trigger. Let's just say it's not for the easily bored. A minute in and tapping away I thought to myself what have I started! Tedious ain't the word. Will need to neaten up edges and the bits I missed. I'm taking it to about 5mm from the end of the stock. Cheers.

Edited by winnie&bezza

Have you tried wetting the stock in the area you want to stipple to make it easier to stipple also shouldn't break as many wood fibres causing less splintering, and drilling a few nails through a peice of wood so you can use it like a small hammer to fill stippling in the larger areas quicker.

Looking forward to seeing the finished stock,

Edited by figgy

Have you tried wetting the stock in the area you want to stipple to make it easier to stipple also shouldn't break as many wood fibres causing less splintering, and drilling a few nails through a peice of wood so you can use it like a small hammer to fill stippling in the larger areas quicker.

Looking forward to seeing the finished stock,

I'm glad you said that figgy as whilst doing it I was thinking that when I wet the stock to raise the grain, it will lift the stipling a bit. So with with what you say it's will lift it ready before doing it to. Agree with you about the splintering to. Would you have enough weight with the nails in wood to create decent dents? Cheers.

This is something I wanted to have a go at, where did you get the cylinder and barrel and such bits and bobs?

I've had the rifle for 12 years and has a standard beech stock originally but just fancied the challenge. Maybe find a s400 or whatever rifle you fancy at a good price and crack on with a stock.

Hurry up as I keep checking this thread for finished pictures. :)

I really should do my Brno stock. I gave up on it

Mate I agree. It's taking far too long now but as you know with having babies, free time out of work and having a 27 month old is hard to get. Will have to put my foot down with the missus and lock myself away.

Yes get on with it as I feel lonely being the only one doing it.

Edited by winnie&bezza

image_zpsxmybcepv.jpeg

image_zpsr74hig1p.jpeg

image_zpscx9hbkxu.jpeg

image_zpse8zn3uwt.jpeg

image_zpssszh3wso.jpeg

image_zpss75bxrf9.jpeg

So this morning At 6 I was up and sanding stock ready for its first coat of alkanut oil. First coat went on liberally and then left it an hour and gave it another. Whilst waiting for it to dry I went up with a mate to local gunshop for him to spend over 2k on a secondhand browning but it's lovely. Came back to find it looking like this. Looks lovely apart from the small circular light mark on the left side of grip. Didn't see anything when sanding and it's a pain. Any advice and criticism is more than welcome.