Compact and light weight whirly/magnet recommendation

Hi

Once the game season finishes I will be back out decaying and it will be my second year, so far I have accumulated FUDS and flock shells but am now on the lookout for a magnet.

I often can't park that close to where i what to decoy and so carrying stuff is an issue so the most compact and light weight solution would be good, I can fit a small battery in my rucksack

I would welcome recommendations

Hi

Once the game season finishes I will be back out decaying and it will be my second year, so far I have accumulated FUDS and flock shells but am now on the lookout for a magnet.

I often can't park that close to where i what to decoy and so carrying stuff is an issue so the most compact and light weight solution would be good, I can fit a small battery in my rucksack

I would welcome recommendations

You are lasting quite well!

Pinewood make a lightweight version.

In my view kit starts off getting more and more and more. Then it starts to get paired back to just the things that you really need.

Thoughts

1. Forget the magnet ( no doubt heresy) and get an electric flapper. Very light If you have to walk far.

2. Or invest in a quality carrier with decent shoulder straps and you wont notice the difference a few kilo one way or the other.

3. Or loose the fuds (heavy, carry mud, static, take time to deploy) and swap for some shells and flexi pegs.

Depending on your buget go with a pinewood and a lithium bat . With a magnet you have the option of using it if the situation warrents it all year round . Even over standing crop if needed .
Flappers a great a harvest time when over stubbles . Or later on drillings . But your stuggle when your OSR starts to grow . I would struggle using one now in the crop let alone in mid feb time.when rape really gets going again .

Edited by stevo

Depending on your buget go with a pinewood and a lithium bat . With a magnet you have the option of using it if the situation warrents it all year round . Even over standing crop if needed .

Flappers a great a harvest time when over stubbles . Or later on drillings . But your stuggle when your OSR starts to grow . I would struggle using one now in the crop let alone in mid feb time.when rape really gets going again .

Surely you'll just use a longer rod to lift it above the crop?

My homemade micro rotary weighs so little with its little lithium battery so I'm taking both tomorrow in the hope the birds will show some interest in one or the other http://s300.photobucket.com/user/sitsinhedges/media/20151010_122322_zpsezxwpy2l.mp4.html

My homemade micro rotary weighs so little with its little lithium battery so I'm taking both tomorrow in the hope the birds will show some interest in one or the other http://s300.photobucket.com/user/sitsinhedges/media/20151010_122322_zpsezxwpy2l.mp4.html

Read my post again . That ref was about flappers NOT magnets .

Thats a neat bit of kit. Excellent

So was my reply. Just use longer rods from the ground stake to the flapper itself to lift it where it needs to be. I've got 5mm galvy steel rods that are a couple of feet or so long for the taller stuff.

:good:;)

So was my reply. Just use longer rods from the ground stake to the flapper itself to lift it where it needs to be. I've got 5mm galvy steel rods that are a couple of feet or so long for the taller stuff.

I thought the OP was on about magnets ?

my original post was in response to OOWEE 's post

quote ............1. Forget the magnet ( no doubt heresy) and get an electric flapper. Very light If you have to walk far.

**** me

your hard work

You really need to relax, then read thru this thread again.

that's the problem .

I'm a bit too relaxed ,

I'm sorry if I have totally misread this , I'm half way through a bottle of jack Daniel's ( well its xmas )

I have not doubt that in the morning I will read this and it will all make perfect sense

so if I'm coming across as a bit of a dumb *** , its not me its the uncle jack

atb stevo

I'm sorry if I have totally misread this , I'm half way through a bottle of jack Daniel's ( well its xmas )

I have not doubt that in the morning I will read this and it will all make perfect sense

I am on the grouse :). I rate both the rotary and the flappers, For me its being able to look after the kit when i am lugging it about every day. Remembering to charge the battery :no:

Your right its Christmas and tomorrow its party time. Have a good one. :lol:

that's the problem .

I'm a bit too relaxed ,

atb stevo

Fair enough. I'd probably be doing the same but I want to be set up at first light in the hope of getting a few birds before they flock up. The field was heaving with them this afternoon but they came into the roost wood as one so they may just clear off elsewhere en masse at the first shot.

Fair enough. I'd probably be doing the same but I want to be set up at first light in the hope of getting a few birds before they flock up. The field was heaving with them this afternoon but they came into the roost wood as one so they may just clear off elsewhere en masse at the first shot.

yeah me too , the jack D has gone back in the cupboard and now on the coffee as I'm out tomorrow , not till dinnertime , I'm on the crows again tomorrow but doing the evening flights .

I went on Monday same time similar place and had 59 , so fingers crossed .

Edited by stevo