Anyone use an old side by side for sporting clays?

Wingman

Hi all

Going for a round of sporting on Sunday and I fancy taking my old Spanish SxS out for a change, also as I have spent a fair bit of time cleaning and restoring it over Christmas. It's a "Master" made by Ugartechea from 1963 (date code I1) lovely light and pointable gun. The only real problem I can see is its choking which is half and full (3 stars and 1 star stamped on the barrels) which is very tight for sporting clays although the layout has a fair few high targets.

Anyone shoot clays with a game gun like this, any advice or tips??

Cheers and happy new year to all!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be good practice for you . Just keep in mind it will shoot high . How much will depend on fit .

To a degree it will be like shooting a trap gun . If they have a DTL layout there have a go . You might be pleasantly surprised .

But i bet you enjoy yourself thats for sure .

Your chokes are going to mess you up but the gun is just as capable of breaking clays as the any gun on the market-if you get to know the gun and become confident with it you will do just fine-don't go with a feeling of inferiority or it will show in your scores. Have a word with Douglas Burton (Westcott-between Aylesbury and Bicester) about opening out your chokes-Skeet and 1/4 would be my suggestion but read up and decide what's best for you. p.s. none of my SxS guns shoot high-more like centre pattern but it's worth finding a pattern plate if you can-if not then a pond can be useful.

Edited by bruno22rf

Quite a few blokes wander round and use a SbS and shoot well with them. I don't understand why people should think that good scores aren't achievable with a side by side. It's a gun, if it fits you and you are a reasonable shot the target will be taken just as if it is a pigeon, pheasant , duck, woodcock, rabbit, hare or anything. There seems to be a thought pattern at the present that if it isn't O/U with single trigger, 30+inches of barrel and multi choke then it wont shoot and isn't any good. The chokes are a bit tight but if you use 30 g of 7-1/2 and put the lead on the target you will take them. Take gloves with you because the barrels will get blooming hot and leave the gun broken as much as possible to allow air up the tubes to help cool them. Have confidence in your ability and focus on the bird. If you are a rubbish shot you'll miss just as many as you would anyway. Have fun.

Thanks for the responses I am really looking forward to giving it a go now! I have some 21 gram carts no. 8's so will use those.. Polished up the action yesterday as it was quite tarnished I think it's come up really well!!

post-76330-0-06565600-1451680980_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wingman

Gave it a light rub down with 2000 grit wet and dry and then used 0000 wire wool with solvol autosol metal polish. Finished off with a wipe off with meths to get rid of the residue. Came up well but it's perhaps too shiny so I may try and dull it somehow, probably won't be great as a rough gun if it catches the sun!!

The was a chap came to a little local clay shoot in the summer with a sxs it didn't hinder him one bit they had the high tower on which I think is 60' and he hit every one off it what do they say about the person who uses one gun for every thing lol

I have a belgian SXS (1962) which is choked for 3/4 and Full. Nice light 'rough' gun with 28" barrels.

I've clay shot with it before and it's great fun. My other Shotgun is a Miroku MK38 multi sporting which is a great gun..... But...... I've really enjoyed the older SXS on many occasions to the extent that I sometimes only take it out of the cabinet and leave the Miroku at home.

Something very satisfying about using a more 'basic' gun to mash clays!

Whatever you choose, just enjoy being out on the ground :-)

Andy

I very rarely shoot clays now, in fact for the last 3 years the PW charity shoot has been the last 3 times I've bothered, but I used to take my old side by sides out a fair bit on the clays.

Unless you have a specific sxs goal in mind, you probably wont gain much by going out and doing 100 birds a week with it, and arguably you could start messing up your sight pictures if you're used to OUs or autos, but a quick 25 or 50 once in a while with a sxs is a lot of fun.

Also bear in mind a lot of sxs guns are lightweight, so you will start to feel snappy cartridges after a while.

my answer is WHY ?

Because for me I enjoy owning and shooting different types of gun and having an opportunity to get something different out of the cabinet and shoot makes shooting so enjoyable. Also because I have spent hours on this gun cleaning and restoring it and frankly I am proud of my work and the gun deserves a good outing rather than being locked away for occasional use....