Anyone use an old side by side for sporting clays?

Wingman

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Wingman. I have a few O/U guns for clays-525, 101 and a medalist but they rarely see daylight as I am addicted to vintage SxS English Shotguns - they have character and history as well as being built by the finest Gunmakers the world has ever known-unlike the "tools" that are most modern guns. The only real advantage of my OU guns are the multi chokes that give far more versatility for any given situation but I also find that a nice quality SxS choked 1/4 and 1/2 ,or better still more open, will be effective 90% of the time. It might also be worth mentioning that shooting is not always about efficient killing (clays or game) and that many hours of pleasure are spent walking in the fields and enjoying the countryside-with a hundred year old gun over your arm,that you have restored back to its original condition, the pleasure is far greater.

Cheers Bruno22RF I agree entirely. When I used to shoot rifles I owned a Blaser LRS2 in 6.5x55 with all the trimmings Schimdt & Bender scope etc cost me thousands. I then ended up buying a Lee Enfield No4 which I had rebarreled and I re-finished the stock myself. There was something very exciting about hitting a 1000yds target on stickledown at Bisley with open sights and a gun that was made decades ago. The Blaser ended up taking second place after that and I started collecting old military rifles. Much the same applies now to shotguns I am a tinkerer by nature and enjoy things with a bit of character and history.

Edited by Wingman

Well said Wingman. I have a few O/U guns for clays-525, 101 and a medalist but they rarely see daylight as I am addicted to vintage SxS English Shotguns - they have character and history as well as being built by the finest Gunmakers the world has ever known-unlike the "tools" that are most modern guns. The only real advantage of my OU guns are the multi chokes that give far more versatility for any given situation but I also find that a nice quality SxS choked 1/4 and 1/2 ,or better still more open, will be effective 90% of the time. It might also be worth mentioning that shooting is not always about efficient killing (clays or game) and that many hours of pleasure are spent walking in the fields and enjoying the countryside-with a hundred year old gun over your arm,that you have restored back to its original condition, the pleasure is far greater.

Me too, my newest gun is 112 years old. Part of the fun is keeping these old guns going and formulating your own loads to suit them.

My last purchase was only a baby at 102,advertised on this very forum a couple of months back, she's a stunning Damascus barreled 16g that was owned by the Mayor of Launceston-had the wood stripped and hand oiled and the finish is like glass, she is light enough to carry one handed all day long but puts up an ounce of shot with barely a nudge-that guns of such quality can be bought so cheaply astounds me but at least means that I can keep buying them .

Just to put things in a different perspective before o/u shotguns were invented the s X s was the only double barrelled gun availible and there were some magnificent shooters using them and still are.Yes a multi choke o/u has advantages but if the gun fits and is pointing in the right direction and the shooter has the ability it will break the clay or kill the bird.

Just to put things in a different perspective before o/u shotguns were invented the s X s was the only double barrelled gun availible and there were some magnificent shooters using them and still are.Yes a multi choke o/u has advantages but if the gun fits and is pointing in the right direction and the shooter has the ability it will break the clay or kill the bird.

No one has ever won a British or English competition in the last 35 years with a side by side unless it was a dedicated Side by side shoot .

If your quote was true why don't any one who is any good use them now even the top game shooters use over / unders these days

At my local club we have a couple of game shooters who spend in excess of £100,000 a year on game shooting both don't shoot side by sides .

Its simply fashion-no more than that.Those who have felt the balance and grace of a well made SxS know the score - as for nobody winning major comps with one, I would suggest that the small matter of sponsorship comes into it-due to a change in fashion over a relatively short period of time no manufacturer is going to put money behind a shooter to promote guns sales that simply wont happen - far more economical to promote their CNC mass produced and laser etched toys for the boys.

The bosher sidelock at £65 would be a nice project-reblack the tubes (someone on this forum is quoting £90) and strip the woodwork and re oil it yourself-the gun looks identical to my Pollard who was a London maker and the fact that it has been sleeved would indicate that the action/wood are of sufficiently high quality to warrant such work.

Looks like it may have been built in Devon-I would guess 1910-1925 but proof marks will help. If I bought her I would budget around £300 to bring her back to life but then I am lucky enough to be able to pay to have the work done-I'm also bloody lazy so that helps-you could do a lot of the work yourself and save money or just use her as she is and get little bits done as and when you can afford it. If you were going to visit Douglas you might find he has something similar knocking about but Mick's prices (bosher) are almost impossible to beat-buying from Mick gives you the sense that you have just stolen from him and been offered a cuppa while you did it.

The bosher sidelock at £65 would be a nice project-reblack the tubes (someone on this forum is quoting £90) and strip the woodwork and re oil it yourself-the gun looks identical to my Pollard who was a London maker and the fact that it has been sleeved would indicate that the action/wood are of sufficiently high quality to warrant such work.

Was tempted by this myself as I already have an A. Gale 10g. However, I prefer them with hammers so will pass on this one. For info. George Gale started his gun-making business in 1869. He died in 1885 and his wife Annie took over the business until she died in 1905 when the business passed to their son Edward. That puts this gun between 1885 and 1905. The business was located in Joy Street, Barnstaple. Cut and paste from the 1890 Barnstaple trade directory below.

Gabriel, Charles Henry, painter, , Strand,

Gabriel, John, butcher, , Newport road,

Gabriel, Mark, lodging house, 17, Ebberly lawn,

Gabriel, Richard Henry, boot maker, , Strand,

Gale, Mrs. Annie, gun maker, 20, Joy street,

Galliford, William, painter, , Silver street,

Gamble, Charles Hanlen, surgeon, , Union terrace,

Gammon, Richard, shoeing smith, , Bear street,

Gammon, William, carpenter, , Vicarage street,

Gard & Trevorrow, , pawnbrokers, , Market street,

Gardner, Mrs. Sarah, laundress, 9, Newport road,

Very well put !

I use my 32" pistol gripped gun it's fixed choke full and 3/4 raised rib and is ideal for sporting clays maybe the chokes are a little tight for some birds but works very well. Ejector doesn't need that for clays but all the clay guns seem to these days.

Oh yes 1800's Tolley box lock live pigeon gun.

I only shoot clays but love using my hammer gun on them.

As long as I remember to cock the hammers there's a fair moderate chance I may hit something!

No, not as high a score as with my O/U but heaps of fun and the enjoyment of shooting a little bit of British history.