rain kills stock finish??

clayboster

hi guys, went out for first time with new gun today, yup in the lovely rain, ive had the gun about 6 mnths now but today was first time out in wet weather, shot a round of 60 clays in the rain, gun gets rather wet in proccess, gets back home (20 minit ride), takes gun out of bag for drying/cleaning....wow...whats happened to my stock?? looks like its a varnished stock and someones threw paintstripper on it, grain was swollen n not looking too good, :unhappy: .

anyhow after drying and leaving to air out for a few hours its gone down a bit but some still remains and is a bit unsightly, ive shot my beretta in the rain before without this problem (my son used it today..no problems). but my nice new browning that is oil finished (beretta too) has turned sour on me after one single use in wet weather.

anyone know why this could have happened, ?? its a £3k gun so should have expected better than this. any cures? or back to dealers (long ride)

heres a few pics taken later tonite.

cheers for advice.

dave.

post-68552-0-61391300-1451862827_thumb.jpg

post-68552-0-19460300-1451863058_thumb.jpg

post-68552-0-89270400-1451863067_thumb.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the current Browning wood finish, grain not properly sealed.

Have you done any work to the woodwork since you bought it?

You are meant to maintain the finish by applying a small amount of oil and gently rubbing it in with the palm of your hand.

Be prepared for the shop to ask you these sort of questions!

I use CCL Products.

That is the current Browning wood finish, grain not properly sealed.

Have you done any work to the woodwork since you bought it?

You are meant to maintain the finish by applying a small amount of oil and gently rubbing it in with the palm of your hand.

Be prepared for the shop to ask you these sort of questions!

I use CCL Products.

every time ive used it its had a light smearing of linseed/alkanet root oil and rubbed in till dry, its been no problem till it got used in the rain today.

Most stock wood today is kiln dried which requiries the grain to be filled thus not allowing moisture too penitrate the wood before a oil finish , this does not come overnight it takes months for a good oil finish.' for what I see from the image the only way to rescue this stock is strip of finish and start a fresh.,Most gun stocks today are just **** wood the gun makers of yesterday would only used todays wood for firewood, enclosed are images of gunstocks of yesterday

Feltwad

P1010005_zpsvdqzbra8.jpg

P1010008_zpsefynrapj.jpg

P1010007_zps4wufde8q.jpg

P1010005_zpsvdqzbra8.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

The text book answer back to the shop warranty repair by BWM.

It's a common fault on modern guns for various reason all cost cutting short cuts IMHO, strip and refinish with proper oils and it won't happens again and the stock will most likely look a lot better.

Edited by welshwarrior

Most stock wood today is kiln dried which requiries the grain to be filled thus not allowing moisture too penitrate the wood before a oil finish , this does not come overnight it takes months for a good oil finish.' for what I see from the image the only way to rescue this stock is strip of finish and start a fresh.,Most gun stocks today are just **** wood the gun makers of yesterday would only used todays wood for firewood, enclosed are images of gunstocks of yesterday

Feltwad

P1010005_zpsvdqzbra8.jpg&&0

P1010008_zpsefynrapj.jpg

P1010007_zps4wufde8q.jpg

P1010005_zpsvdqzbra8.jpg

Nice pictures of them in the sunshine.

Perhaps you could run a test, put some rain water on one of the stocks, leave it for an hour or two and then show us the result.

Also I do not think your comparison stacks up. You are showing the stocks of what would have been custom guns in their day having been manufactured from higher grade woods and had much more time spent on their finish. They are not the general user (farmer) models which were built in their hundreds.

Edited by B25Modelman

B25

The days of the muzzle loader ,pinfire , and early breech loader the type of wood in the images was common in all types of guns although some did not have the same figure the planks in those days stood for a great number of years to dry and came from the root of mostly walnut Today most wood is kiln dried and comes from all parts of the tree most with opened grain and not properley finished .The gun in your image if used better oiled would look a lot better although just average wood

Feltwad

Nice pictures of them in the sunshine.

Perhaps you could run a test, put some rain water on one of the stocks, leave it for an hour or two and then show us the result.

Also I do not think your comparison stacks up. You are showing the stocks of what would have been custom guns in their day having been manufactured from higher grade woods and had much more time spent on their finish. They are not the general user (farmer) models which were built in their hundreds.

DSCN0684.JPG

I have used and seen used many an old English gun used all day in the rain with correctly seasoned stocks and traditional oil finishes and none of them ever showed any issues like what one often sees today!

Over priced junk I am afraid or a rip off, take your pick.

Go look at the timber on a Browning from the fifties, then you will see!

I have used and seen used many an old English gun used all day in the rain with correctly seasoned stocks and traditional oil finishes and none of them ever showed any issues like what one often sees today!

Over priced junk I am afraid or a rip off, take your pick.

Go look at the timber on a Browning from the fifties, then you will see!

The gun I showed was termed a farmers gun and engraved such on the barrels. It was a cheap gun manufactured for the mass market. The stock would not have come up anywhere near your stocks. It was handed in a few years back for disposal.

I have Brownings (5) 4 of which are from the 70/80's. Two are nitro coated and two are oil. The nitro have been out in all weathers and do not stain. They started their life satin to which I have polished them up to gloss. I have not used the oiled ones in pouring rain so have no evidence of what would happen to them. Today I pick my shooting days, bright, clear, cloudy and no rain are much better for concentration.

I must add the 'oil' finished stock on my Maxus is not one that I would risk in the rain. It will require much 'oiling' by the end user beforehand.

Edited by B25Modelman