rain kills stock finish??

clayboster

I'm guessing that the dealer can demand the money back from his supplier? Looking at the new act I would say that the gun can be rejected because the time it takes to repair is going to inconvenience the purchaser-would anyone on this site be happy paying £3k for a gun that needed repairing after such a short time??

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once having obtained the desired oil finish (CCL) on my guns, I spray the wood with a beeswax furniture polish from 'Home Bargains'. The can is around £1.20 and lasts me a couple of years. It has a 'beehive' yellow plastic top and the name 'wood silk' on the can. It is non slip, non harmful to the oil finish and does not whiten when wet. I annually re-oil the stocks after rubbing with fine steel wool and stock oil, then apply the wax polish. I also wax the stock prior to taking out in rain. I have used this stuff for around 6 years without problems and i am only on the second can now. (Just keep it hidden from SWMBO though !)

Once having obtained the desired oil finish (CCL) on my guns, I spray the wood with a beeswax furniture polish from 'Home Bargains'. The can is around £1.20 and lasts me a couple of years. It has a 'beehive' yellow plastic top and the name 'wood silk' on the can. It is non slip, non harmful to the oil finish and does not whiten when wet. I annually re-oil the stocks after rubbing with fine steel wool and stock oil, then apply the wax polish. I also wax the stock prior to taking out in rain. I have used this stuff for around 6 years without problems and i am only on the second can now. (Just keep it hidden from SWMBO though !)

The beeswax polish sounds like the stuff I use every time I use and clean my gun.

It's a pity Bubbles Bathrooms did not sell guns. They fitted our bathroom just under 5 years ago and with it came a 5 year warranty. So two months to go and they are still repairing or in the latest case replacing items that have failed...without question. The latest the shower extractor fan motor failed in the ON mode. BB immediately ordered a new kit and within a week they had visited and replaced it. The kit was £150 but from it only the fan motor was used. I enquired as to what would happen with the unused parts and the engineer said the faulty motor would be put back in the kit and the kit returned to their supplier for analysis. If the motor was found to be faulty (which it was) the supplier covered the cost. That is how a good warranty works.

I love and admire Browning guns, well mine anyway, but I don't love Browning or their attitude to customers be it from a simple inquiry or product support.

However I believe a good company would have fixed this not left it to the dealer gun has not been finished properly, only Browning well Miruko did the finishing work, the dealer has had to foot the bill, it does not engender loyalty.

My Mate Had The Same Problem,Back to the Shop Twice,,, gave up after 8 weeks and got ALL his money back from the Company.

Just shows you they have cut back on the wood work and tried to save the action..

The Second time it went back to the manufacturer, Ah Well.

im full of praise right now for the rfd, fingers crossed that their re-finishers do a better job than brownings, i rly want to keep the gun but brownings after service have made me think twice.

same here , just hope my rfd serves me better than browning have.

I was thinking about getting a new Browning think I will stick to my old Beretta

foned the frd today for an update....not pleased.

was told its haveing a high gloss finish put on it ...i dont like nor did i ask for one.!

then told it will take about 3 months......was originaly told 2 weeks.!

then was told, " its your fault, you did take it out in the rain!, we're repairing it as a good will jesture.

then told well, what do you want us to do about it? i said get a rush on or im thinking of a refund, ill speak to you at the shooting show about it,

he said well browning have a stand there so take it up with them, to which i hung up.

i will name and shame this rfd if the matter is not sorted by the weekend. :unhappy:

foned the frd today for an update....not pleased.

was told its haveing a high gloss finish put on it ...i dont like nor did i ask for one.!

then told it will take about 3 months......was originaly told 2 weeks.!

then was told, " its your fault, you did take it out in the rain!, we're repairing it as a good will jesture.

then told well, what do you want us to do about it? i said get a rush on or im thinking of a refund, ill speak to you at the shooting show about it,

he said well browning have a stand there so take it up with them, to which i hung up.

i will name and shame this rfd if the matter is not sorted by the weekend. :unhappy:

clayboster,

I am v sorry to read all this.If I were you I would now write to the MD of your rfd,clearly stating the saga and your requirement of an oil finish(as ordered bought/contracted).A high gloss finish is unacceptable and if a replacement exact gun is not forthcoming within 1 week you shall require a full refund.

It is your rfd who sold it to you and your beef is with him.It is v sad to see that Browning are not supporting their rfds(retailers) and reflects badly on them,but in law your issue is with the retailer and it is time to make it absolutely clear you have reached the end of your tether.If me I would also hand deliver said letter @midday on a Saturday when hopefully they are busy. I know that the rfds around here would just sort this out and frankly a replacement gun would be least I would expect.All the best go kick some ***.

You were told by several members on here that it would take quite a while?? THIS IS NOTHING TO DO WITH BROWNING -THIS IS 100% THE LIABILITY OF THE SELLER. Formally reject the gun in writing and demand a refund - let them know that you have been reasonable but you are now considering taking legal action - under the Consumer Rights Act the gun is not fit for purpose. The Act has been broken on 2 counts-the finish is not acceptable and the repair time is causing you considerable inconvenience. I would also be interested in who is trying to do the work - do Browning UK even have a workshop?

If you want it done in 2 weeks take it to a car painter to spray it with 2 pack lacquer.

If you want an oil finish you need to be patient.

but another 3 months?that will be 6 months ownership 4 months without imagine this was a new car?totally unacceptable and unfit for purpose product...reject is only course of action which will resolve this.At 3 k it was presumably a grade 5 or similar such wood should not react in this way and for an rfd to say 'oh you should'nt take a shotgun out in the rain' would sure pull my grenade pin..........I believe you are an rfd what would you have done if this was your customer?

but another 3 months?that will be 6 months ownership 4 months without imagine this was a new car?totally unacceptable and unfit for purpose product...reject is only course of action which will resolve this.At 3 k it was presumably a grade 5 or similar such wood should not react in this way and for an rfd to say 'oh you should'nt take a shotgun out in the rain' would sure pull my grenade pin..........I believe you are an rfd what would you have done if this was your customer?

After speaking to BWM if they refused to refinish as they have here! I would have refishined the stock for the client he would have to wait for the oils to set. as I do this myself it would go to the front of my que, I'd still need the gun over 6 weeks if he wants it done properly, and better than a factory finish.

If he want a quick factory type finish we could go to lacquer or tru oil. Both I dislike but both faster, customers choice.

Should add I don't get many new Browning for some reason!!

Edited by welshwarrior

You were told by several members on here that it would take quite a while?? THIS IS NOTHING TO DO WITH BROWNING -THIS IS 100% THE LIABILITY OF THE SELLER. Formally reject the gun in writing and demand a refund - let them know that you have been reasonable but you are now considering taking legal action - under the Consumer Rights Act the gun is not fit for purpose. The Act has been broken on 2 counts-the finish is not acceptable and the repair time is causing you considerable inconvenience. I would also be interested in who is trying to do the work - do Browning UK even have a workshop?

words well spoken bruno,im no expert in stock refinishing but if the rfd say 2 weeks and i knew no better then i believed him, but now hes saying 3 months? so im going with the majority on here , im going to see them at the shooting show on saturday and tell them to shuv it where the sun dont shine,(hope it rains there too) and get a refund, im going to spend it on a beretta and have enuff cash left to buy a few thousand rounds to put through it, i like your wording and thats exactly what im throwin in there faces,

Edited by clayboster

words well spoken bruno,im no expert in stock refinishing but if the rfd say 2 weeks and i knew no better then i believed him, but now hes saying 3 months? so im going with the majority on here , im going to see them at the shooting show on saturday and tell them to shuv it where the sun dont shine,(hope it rains there too) and get a refund, im going to spend it on a beretta and have enuff cash left to buy a few thousand rounds to put through it, i like your wording and thats exactly what im throwin in there faces,

...and you could be back to square one. I bought a new Beretta over a year back and after a few rainy day outings with it the finish disappeared. I couldn't be bothered to go back and forth arguing the toss, and got it for a decent price, so I refinished the stock properly myself, but then again, I work with wood finishing. 3 months is not unreasonable for a quality oil finish (it can be done in 2 months including allowances for oxidation of the surface) so if that's what they were proposing, I would accept it and chalk it up to experience or ask for a refund, but not get into arguments about having the gun back in a few weeks as that wouldn't be reasonable for a quality oil finish. Shame if you like the gun and like the wood to go down this route but for £3K I think I'd probably ask for a refund and buy a really high quality used gun instead. At least you could pick and choose something which was true top class for your budget then without the same worries.

• 2 weeks later...

SUCSESS....refunded, i finaly twisted their arm (should have been neck) and threatened with small claims court, but i think what worked was the threat of nameing and shaming them on line did more to change their minds, so im now happy with settlement.! but ...guess whos got the beretta in stock that i am thinking of haveing as a replacement..yep.

so im gonna wait untill another rfd closer to me can get one in stock,

thank you to all the folks on here for your opinions and helpful advice given, and think twice about the warranty given on a new gun before you buy.!

regards ....jarma, :good:

SUCSESS....refunded, i finaly twisted their arm (should have been neck) and threatened with small claims court, but i think what worked was the threat of nameing and shaming them on line did more to change their minds, so im now happy with settlement.! but ...guess whos got the beretta in stock that i am thinking of haveing as a replacement..yep.

so im gonna wait untill another rfd closer to me can get one in stock,

thank you to all the folks on here for your opinions and helpful advice given, and think twice about the warranty given on a new gun before you buy.!

regards ....jarma, :good:

If you live in the West Midlands you must have plenty of big gun shops to choose from. I'd have a drive around some of the big ones, especially the ones which have facilities to try the gun (or same model) before you buy.