Good roosting woods ruined, hopefully temporarily.

JDog

This time of year most of us decoyers suffer from the OSR disease. We get very keen, see a large flock, dive in and it comes to nothing. Nowadays I personally do less diving in than I used to as I can just about work out whether a flock, or some of a flock, will return. A windy day always helps I find.

The second best alternative is a flight line. Being new to an area means finding flight lines anew, not always easy but sometimes very rewarding.

A third option for some sport is roost shooting. In areas where there is game shooting this is largely restricted to February and March after game shooting has finished. On my travels over the past few months I have picked up land to shoot over which does not have game shooting but which does have woods suitable for pigeons to roost in. Two of these in particular have looked promising over the Xmas period and I have sat and watched pigeons going in to roost in small but increasing numbers.

Last week bangers were placed in close proximity to the woods on OSR fields and the roosting pigeons have simply deserted the woods for quieter locations. Obviously they are not going to be happy trying to sleep when bangers are going off close to them.

Edited by JDog

This time of year most of us decoyers suffer from the OSR disease. We get very keen, see a large flock, dive in and it comes to nothing. Nowadays I personally do less diving in than I used to as I can just about work out whether a flock, or some of a flock, will return. A windy day always helps I find.

The second best alternative is a flight line. Being new to an area means finding flight lines anew, not always easy but sometimes very rewarding.

A third option for some sport is roost shooting. In areas where there is game shooting this is largely restricted to February and March after game shooting has finished. On my travels over the past few months I have picked up land to shoot over which does not have game shooting but which does have woods suitable for pigeons to roost in. Two of these in particular have looked promising over the Xmas period and I have sat and watched pigeons going in to roost in small but increasing numbers.

Last week bangers were placed in close proximity to the woods on OSR fields and the roosting pigeons have simply deserted the woods for quieter locations. Obviously they are not going to be happy trying to sleep when bangers are going off close to them.

Please tell us all the secret! Because the only way I have found is if you sit there and they return!

Hi JDog , we have the same concern , they tend to place the bangers close to the roost woods when the game season is over. This allows us to shoot but the birds are spooky . Some of our best farms have OSR next to the roost woods so you have a double whammy of rape shooting during the day and birds returning over your decoys at roost. You have my simpathy with regards to your roost woods but I'm sure with your charm and panache you will soon find more shooting.

I've got a couple of farmers who persist in leaving their gas guns close to copses and woods. This is prompted by farmer Giles seeing a load of pigeons sitting in the trees and floating down on to his OSR for a quick munch.

It's a pain and puts the birds off from using the woods. We have permission to disable and enable the gas guns as we see fit when we are on the ground. I wish they were put further in to the field if i'm honest as this does deter the pigeons from using the woods.

We've been roost shooting since the leaves fell to the ground and from 14th November we've shot bags of 9, 42,13 & 19 in about an hour towards the end of the day. Not so spectacular but these bags are shot by two or three guns at most. January and February are usually a lot busier when we start roost shooting in the conifers.

We don't shoot the very last bit of the day, we let the pheasants roost. In some ways it's a shame as this is often the best time for pigeon but you can't have it both ways.

Edited by Whitebridges