Extrema Confusion!

grahamch

Am looking for something for fowling as my Browning 725UK keeps jammimng with the slightest bit of mud and cant find a suitable ou.

Have been thinking of a Beretta Exterma but cant really tell the difference between the 300, 350 and 400 other than price - any one explain?

My local gun shop did say they could get them left handed but cant see any lefties for sale on the net anywhere.

Confused!

Not really the answer you're asking for, but have you considered a Benelli M2? It's inertia driven, not gas, so has very few working parts so is less prone to jamming through dirt. This also makes it light and very easy to clean. The synthetic stocked M2 Essential is around £950 new. I use one for pigeon decoying and love it.

Not sure of the 350 but the 400 has a better recoil reduction system that the 300 , the 300 is a mix of parts from the 400 and the old xtrema , also the 300 does not have a magazine cut off button .

I do know people that have had problems with both models , although I am told the new 400 series seem better.

Confused.

Yes Beretta Semis can have that effect , for clarity and brevity a short listing .

BERETTA XTREMA

BERETTA XTREMA 2

BERETTA A 400 XTREME , this is in current production, the above are not. 3.5 in This Gun is available in Left hand version , Black only as far as I know .

I have used all the above guns.

Beretta A 300 , 3in cheaper model .

The A 400 XTREME , has Aqua coating , to defend against corrosion and this does a good job. .

I am sure your RFD could order in any gun for you . Heres a Thought , why not go to the shooting show at the end of the month at Stoneleigh and try out a few guns

for fit , as you say its hard to find one , you will be spoilt for choice I am sure if you go.

Good luck.

The A300 extrema is a 3.5".

Confused.

Yes Beretta Semis can have that effect , for clarity and brevity a short listing .

BERETTA XTREMA

BERETTA XTREMA 2

BERETTA A 400 XTREME , this is in current production, the above are not. 3.5 in This Gun is available in Left hand version , Black only as far as I know .

I have used all the above guns.

Beretta A 300 , 3in cheaper model .

The A 400 XTREME , has Aqua coating , to defend against corrosion and this does a good job. .

I am sure your RFD could order in any gun for you . Heres a Thought , why not go to the shooting show at the end of the month at Stoneleigh and try out a few guns

for fit , as you say its hard to find one , you will be spoilt for choice I am sure if you go.

Good luck.

Motty , all 4 Current A 300 OUTLANDER models are a 3in. There is no A 300 Xtrema - Xtreme model.

Gadwall there is a A300 xtrema 3.5" chambers , plenty on here have them.

The A300 xtrema , is not a version of the outlander , the outlander is berettas basic auto unless I am mistaken

Edited by fenboy

How goes it Fenboy .

I checked the Beretta site , before I posted the first time and re checked before my second post .

The currently available A300 s are only 3 in , there is no currently available A 300 in 3.5in on Beretta.com.

Again for the OP , the only Leftie is a 400. at this time.

I used to have an original XTREMA, Beretta`s first, and rather belated entry into the 3.5" market.

It was their worst ever selling semi auto and enjoyed the shortest production run of any of their self loaders, ever.

It is no longer made and the availability of spares is increasingly difficult. None of it`s parts are interchangeable with other models.

Their design team got it completely wrong and produced a physically very large and heavy gun that a great many of it`s customers found difficulty with in shooting closer, faster birds.It`s sales bombed in the U.S where it failed to compete with other, lighter and better handling guns by other makers.

It`s reliability of function was never a problem and it`s successor the Beretta Xtrema 2 was an excellent gun with all of the problems of it`s older brother removed at source. Typically, they stopped making it as well and the same problem arises with spares.

Whatever gun you fancy, my advise is to make sure that it is NOT a Beretta Xtrema. I know a lot of fowlers who bought them when they first came out. Not one of them still owns that gun. Many of those fowlers are still shooting Xtrema 2`s or Benelli Super Black Eagles - my fowling piece of choice.

I have owned the A300 extrema 3.5 inch chamber I belive this has been discontinued , and the extrema 2 and the A400 extrema for me the best one is the extrema 2 ,I have also owned a SBE2 the worst semi I have ever owned or as my shooting friends called it the jamelli all have there issues probably why Inow use a browning waterfowl 425 they don't jam .

I would advise the exact opposite. I love my Xtrema and I would buy another if I ever wear mine out. It is one of the most reliable semis i have seen. I can't understand anyone having problems with fast, close birds. I can source spares easily enough,too.

I used to have an original XTREMA, Beretta`s first, and rather belated entry into the 3.5" market.

It was their worst ever selling semi auto and enjoyed the shortest production run of any of their self loaders, ever.

It is no longer made and the availability of spares is increasingly difficult. None of it`s parts are interchangeable with other models.

Their design team got it completely wrong and produced a physically very large and heavy gun that a great many of it`s customers found difficulty with in shooting closer, faster birds.It`s sales bombed in the U.S where it failed to compete with other, lighter and better handling guns by other makers.

It`s reliability of function was never a problem and it`s successor the Beretta Xtrema 2 was an excellent gun with all of the problems of it`s older brother removed at source. Typically, they stopped making it as well and the same problem arises with spares.

Whatever gun you fancy, my advise is to make sure that it is NOT a Beretta Xtrema. I know a lot of fowlers who bought them when they first came out. Not one of them still owns that gun. Many of those fowlers are still shooting Xtrema 2`s or Benelli Super Black Eagles - my fowling piece of choice.

Fair enough if you can shoot with it. Mine always went bang, although I did have to return it to GMK for a standard modification to the trigger which was then on offer since one of the complaints with the gun was the "creepy" trigger. Fully a 1/4" of play before the trigger activated. Said to have been an in built safety feature since the designers were convinced that the recoil from the big shells might produce a second involuntary trigger pull.

I raise my hat to you if you can get on with yours.

In so far as major component spares are concerned, in order to try to cure the handling problem I tried to source a 26" barrel from GMK. They quoted me a price that was more than the cost of some other complete semi`s. Since production had ceased the barrel would have to come from South America and would take over a year to deliver.

I hope you won`t mind me pointing out once more that it`s manufacture was abandoned soon after it`s launch.

I hated mine with the passion that you evidently love yours. I hope it carries on working for you. No reason why it should`nt.

I really cannot understand why Beretta feel the need to keep changing their range of Auto's on such a regular basis .

It would not be so bad if the newer models were a improvement but I think the general consensus is that the xtrema 2 was and perhaps is the best wildfowling auto made.

Yet all attempts at trying to better it seem to end in failure , despite some hefty price hikes !

I really cannot understand why Beretta feel the need to keep changing their range of Auto's on such a regular basis .

It would not be so bad if the newer models were a improvement but I think the general consensus is that the xtrema 2 was and perhaps is the best wildfowling auto made.

Yet all attempts at trying to better it seem to end in failure , despite some hefty price hikes !

Agreed :good:

I have a xtrema 2 , no problems 30" barrel +extended choke, it always goes bang, the birds don't always drop out of the sky but that's user error. This gun runs on marsh mud and gets a strip clean at the end of the season, cannot fault it.

You see I service mine taking out the trigger group cleaning it and re-lube also all the gas piston inside of the action mag tube internally pretty much the full gambit after any heavy session in the mud and every say three flights otherwise

I use a Winchester but it matters little you need to look after the autos more than seasons end if you want fault free

It's not hard to do and doesn't take as long