Anyone cooked Ham joint in Coke in a roasting tin

the crowman

Only a bit sweet ,,,,, you will probably like it.

Maybe wash it down with a can of Stella to restore manliness :lol:

Come on Malc get it right half a dozen

I've eaten it twice and would probably not cook it at home, i prefer it done with Celery and bread sauce

Fair point :good:

I've done a ham joint in Coke (has to be full fat) in the slow cooker for 8 hours. Very tender and sweet. Had about 15-20 cloves stuck in it as well.

Finish off under the grill with some brown sugar or choice of topping. Gorgeous!

I'm sure it can be done in oven but needs to be fully `submersed` to prevent drying out and cook it for at least 5 or 6 hours.

Mrs D does a ham each Christmas to a recipe (Nigella perhaps?)

I can't describe here how it tastes other than people talk about for months on end, including me.

You need a good starting point obviously if anyone is interested I will ask here for the details, but I know it doesn't involve Coke, of either variety (see what I did there?...)

Without smell or taste this means nothing of course but this is what the finished item looks like:

IMAG2643 (Medium).jpg

Yep, there's (IMHO) no need to over-sweeten it. Just enough glaze to balance the saltiness of the ham. A big bony knuckle/hock is my preference.

Simmer it with celery, carrot and onion for the right amount of time, then drain it, skin it (if desired) and glaze it. Into the oven to finish off. I like a mixture of brandy, marmalade and English mustard.

Just returned from St Anton where they were serving up eisbeins by the truck-load :drool:

LS